Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

End ALT contract early to change jobs? 2018/7/13 04:35
I would like to know if I could hypothetically terminate my ALT contract early for reason that I have managed to find other work.

Considering the nature of ALT work, would it be impossible or highly problematic to terminate a contract? Is it legally possible? Would the act of terminating your contract somehow jeopardise your work opportunities in Japan in general (perhaps the Japanese government would frown upon it and refuse future work visas)? If you enter an ALT contract, are you always obliged to finish it completely before changing jobs?

Thank you
by Bryan Crook (guest)  

Re: End ALT contract early to change jobs? 2018/7/13 21:31
It's definitely possible to end your contract early. Your contract should have a clause about how much notice they'd like. It's not illegal to break a contract, and as long as you find work in the same category and alert immigration of your new employment it's not a visa problem, either (you can even switch types, just more paperwork).

As for future employment, breaking a contract doesn't look great, true, but if it's just one instance that can be explained in an otherwise good work history it shouldn't count too badly against you.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread