Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/14 10:09
Its just been 4 months since i started working. But i want to quit and tell that i want to go back to my country. Is home sick a valid reason? And really im just planning to go home for a few weeks and is actually changing jobs. Will the company know that i didnt really leave japan for good? And would the immigration mind that the reason i quit was to go back home, but then im actually changing jobs (job is different category, so i need to apply for change in status). Im really worried how all these will affect my application for a new zairyuu card.
by aykh (guest)  

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/14 11:20
There is no "invalid" reason to quit a job. There is the freedom of job in Japan.
But what they think about you is a different story.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/14 21:16
Personally I wouldn't visit home until I 100% had a new job.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/16 16:12
I'm a little confused. Are you actually homesick or do you want to use homesickness as a made up excuse for getting out of your job?

If it's the former, I'm not sure why you think that going back home for a few weeks and/or changing jobs is going to cure your homesickness.

If it's the latter, you don't need to give them a reason outside of "I don't want to work here anymore". Immigration isn't going to care so long as you go through the process of changing your status properly. Be an adult and tell your current employer the truth and give them proper notice to find a replacement.
by Goober (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/17 08:50
getting home sick can happen to everyone and this is for each person different.

I do not know if you really decided to go back or not. But the feeling homesick can make you choose irrational decisions. It is always better to consider will before you make a move which may regret later.

Try to talk with people, join activities, go out with friends, find something you like to do.

I totally understand your feeling, I had to same but I decided to stay and try to build some close relationships here in Japan.

Using home sick to quite your job, is something I personally would not use. Since mentioned in the post earlier they may think different about it. I just would say you quite because you decided to go back. More details your company does not have to know.

Anyway, wish you the best in your decision.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/18 16:34
I think OP redacted his question in a bit of a confusing way.

What he meant is to say is that he's just changing jobs within Japan but going to his home country for a short period before that. However, he wants to says he's homesick as an official statement to quit his current job instead of simply saying he's changing.

OP:
Quitting after only 4 months is going to make you look bad, no matter the excuse. In my opinion, saying that homesickness is the reason is even worse. Also, don't underestimate the power of networking in Japan. Word can easily get out and put you in the blacklist of other recruiting managers and agencies. I would just tell them the true and be ready to be hated a bit. That's life. it happens. Employers know it, they survive, and they move on.

I know you didn't ask for advice on this but, what is the reason that you're changing jobs? If it's a salary increase of less than a 20% I would not move within this short time frame..... it could hurt your career and the potential of having higher salary jumps in the long term.
by burrito (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is homesick a valid reason to quit job 2018/7/18 17:31
As an employer I can say that if an employee wants to leave I dont mind, and good on them. It can be a disruption but as long as they dont cause damage I'd rather them go and get someone with more enthusiasm for the role. But if they lie about it on the way out I consider it a disgrace and I wouldnt urinate on them if they were burning. Asking for honesty from an employee isnt too much. If I know that they are going to another employer in the same sort of job, I would take a few steps to make sure that our property was protected, that's all.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread