Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama Hokuriku Travel Pass - Advice Needed 2018/7/15 14:54
Hi All,

Will be visiting Hokuriku region, Osaka and Kyoto in early December but will need some advice and feedback about my itinerary from the experts here.

Will be flying in and out from Nagoya Airport and current schedule is as such,

Day Location Base
1 Nagoya Nagoya
2 Nagoya Nagoya
3 Takayama Takayama
4 Shirkawago Takayama
5 Takayama Takayama
6 Kanawaza Kanawaza
7 Osaka Osaka
8 Osaka Osaka
9 Osaka Osaka
10 Kyoto Osaka
11 Kyoto Osaka
12 Nara Osaka
13 Nagoya

1) Planning to get the takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist pass from Day 3 - Day 7. Do you all think the above schedule is feasible? Will be traveling with family.

2) Exact places to visit is still WIP but will welcome all suggestion. Would like to cfm the places and the flow first as I could make the hotel reservation first.

3) Anyone been to Gozaisho Ropeway or Shinhotaka Ropeway? Deciding between 1 of the ropeway and would like some recommendation. If Gozaisho, my Day 3 will be at Nagoya however, if Shinhotaka, I will be based in Takayama.
How about the cost involve? I believe Nohi Bus to Shinhotaka not covered by the takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass?

4) Would love to experience some private onsen experience, any recommendation on accessible places to visit using the takayama - Hokuriku Pass or in Osaka/Kyoto?

5) If anyone used takayama - Hokuriku Area tourist pass, feel free to share any tips/ itinerary If possible

Thanks all in advance
by Sky (guest)  

Re: Takayama Hokuriku Travel Pass - Advice Needed 2018/7/16 10:04
Just curious, why you backtrack from Shirakawago back to Takayama and then Kanazawa. There is a direct bus connection between Shirakawago and Kanazawa.

It is highly unlikely to be a problem for you, but currently the Takayama Main Line is closed due to recent flooding and landslides. It will highly likely to be reopened by your trip, but you may want to check to just to make sure.
by MaiNoKen rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama Hokuriku Travel Pass - Advice Needed 2018/7/22 21:08
Hi,

I backtrack as I plan to visit Skirkawago as a day tour only without carrying heavy luggages.

My base will be at Takayama. Thank you.

If anyone else got other advice, please provide. thank you
by Sky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama Hokuriku Travel Pass - Advice Needed 2018/7/23 04:42
Seems like a very reasonable plan. I agree the Takayama-Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass is probably the best value. There has been some track closure with recent floods but they should be fixed before December. If not, you will have to take the bus through the Takayama area.

I think I might head to Kanazawa on day 5. I think you have plenty of time in Takayama, and not even a full day in Kanazawa. Heading there on day 5 gives you 1/2 a day + a full day in Kanazawa before heading to Osaka on Day 7.

I also think you'd want more time in Kyoto than Osaka, but if you are staying in the area you can switch up your daily plans as needed based on what you are enjoying.

You'll have to buy fare from Osaka to Nagoya to fly home. Taking the bullet train is under an hour (from Shin-Osaka) and 6700y. Or if you want to save money, you can take Kintetsu railways using their 3600y rail pass, but it takes about 2:15 from Osaka-Namba station. The Kintetsu rail pass is good for 5 days, so you could activate it earlier and also use it for your trips between Osaka, Nara and Kyoto: http://www.kintetsu.co.jp/foreign/english/ticket/krp.html

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama Hokuriku Travel Pass - Advice Needed 2018/7/29 15:31
Thank you for your great advice. I will add one more day in Kanazawa instead!

Regarding the Kintetsu rail pass, It is applicable for us in Kyoto and Osaka as well? including trip to Nara etc?
I guess a single trip from Osaka to Nagoya will pay off the cost of the pass?

by Sky (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread