Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/7/16 14:13
Hi everyone
I'm heading back to Japan this November/December for my third trip. I am keen to see Mt Fuji, and also the Hakone region. I've opted to stay two nights in Odawara (quite close to the train station), and am considering getting a two-day Hakone Free Pass to get around the sights. I have also set aside a day for my time in Tokyo to go back to the area (originally I thought I'd do a Mt Fuji tour day trip, but I don't know which one to pick, or whether it's better to make my own way and not be locked to itineraries I'm not 100% happy with.)

I am primarily interested in scenic places for photography and enjoying nature. I would like to see Mt Fuji from some good vantages, and visiting the Chureito pagoda at Arakurayama Sengen Park is a must. Am also interested in Oshino Hakkai or other Five Lakes spots.

I'm struggling to work out the best itinerary of things to do/see in the region over the two visits, and would love some suggestions and advice.

Thanks!
by Tehkella  

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/7/16 16:43
Hi Tehkella,

The free pass is a good idea as there is some beauty to see around the area.

The little ropeway train that takes you up the mountain form Odawara has a few stops, where you can get off, look around and get on again. Along that route is the Hakone Open Air Museum which has world class sculptures in various garden settings. Check out the photos on the web, to see if it's your bag.Along the way, the coloured maples in Novemebr are fabulous.

The suspended ropeway at the top of the train trip provides the potential for some up close views of Fuji-san.

After the ropeway, the circuit continues down to a ferry that takes you back across the lake, for the potential of more Fuji views.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5208.html
by Ritsardo rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/7/22 19:34
Me again! So after spending several hours researching Hakone, this is what I'm thinking for the two days in Hakone.

Day 1
Arrive at Odawara Station from Nagoya, buy Hakone Free Pass.

Take the train to Gora, jump on the Hakone Tozan cable car to Sounzan, then the Hakone ropeway to Owakudani for an explore (if possible) and some kuro tamago! Volcano and weather permitting, aim to spend 1-2 hours exploring/taking photos.

Take the Hakone ropeway to Togendai and take the 2.50pm (at the latest) sightseeing cruise to Hakone-machi. Walk to the Checkpoint and spend about an hour (closes at 4.30pm).

Take Hakone Tozan bus back to Odawara Station.

Day 2
Take Hakone Tozan bus to Moto-Hakone and walk to Hakone Shrine entrance, aim to spend 1-2 hours.

Walk to Hakone-en (or take a shuttle/Odakyu highway bus) and take Komagatake ropeway to Mototsuyima shrine and have a look around the peak.

Ropeway back to Hakone-en, have a look around the area, then bus to Togendai. Ropeways back to Gora, train to Open Air Museum. Spend a couple of hours, then head back to Odawara on the train.

----
Does this all sound possible? Am I missing anything about times/transit?
by Tehkella rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/8/7 16:42
The Circuit on the Hakone Free Pass is easily done in one day ( Tozan Train, Cable Car, Ropeway, Ship and Bus to Hakone Yumoto), especially if you start quite early. Keep in mind that it get darks very early! I have found that the best views of Mount Fuji are from the Bus parking at Owakudani ( which you are technically not allowed to enter) and the Ropeway, but there might be some cables blocking the view.

If you are looking for more photo spots, check out the Odakyu Fuji Hakone Pass , which also covers the Fuji Lake area on the other side of the mountain. In terms of areas easily accessible without hiking or specialized transport, I find the views of Mount Fuji better. Go to Kawaguchiko and take the small ropeway or take a boat on the lake for more unhindered views - there is a combined ticket. The Fujikyu Railway is quite charming and also has some views. I have taken this ticket and opted not to use the full 3 days, but only two, which works. Two caveats: you need to check bus times for the transfer between Hakone and Lake district if you want to avoid a lenghthy layover at the Gotemba outlet and if you travel from/to Tokyo area instead of Nagoya, one way needs to be the highway bus to Shinjuku instead of Rail. I think this pass is also available from Odawara.

Odawara is quite a nice little town and has a very relaxed feel to it.
by Mary (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/8/7 17:41
Itinerary look fine. I wouldn't go adding in Fuji 5 Lakes area with only 1.5-1.75 days. Two day hakone free pass will be fine for your purpose.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/8/7 19:26
If you have two nights and full three days available, I might suggest staying one night each in Hakone and in Kawaguchi-ok (Lake Kawaguchi) area. From Kawaguchi-ok, you will have closer view of Mt Fuji (weather permitting).

Even if you stay in Hakone for two nights, I would suggest staying somewhere "in" Hakone, like around Gora, instead of returning to Odawara each night.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone/Odawara regions to visit 2018/8/7 19:41
Tried the Hakone Free Pass recommended loop and was able to do it in a day. It's a bit rushed but doable if you start early. You might also want to check Odawara castle if that's your thing.
by Andrea (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread