Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change from working visa to tourist visa 2018/7/17 19:31
Hello everyone,
I've been working for almost 4 years here in Japan now but decided to quit on the day my working visa expires, then stay for another 3 months to settle all official requirements.. move out, sell furniture etc.. and also to travel to Kyoto and Tokio to visit friends during that time. Also I had already booked a flight ticket in Dec. months before that I can't change any more. So I decided to stay until the flight goes ( I had booked this flight for Christmas holiday)

A person from immigration office told my jap. friend on the phone that this is possible. So I wasn't too worried when I showed up there today to ask what would be required.

Now, it turned out that it is not easy at all and can even be rejected by the immigration office... they said I should come on the last day of my working visa to apply for short-term. Has anyone have had a similar situation or knows more about changing to short-term visa?

I'm properly anxious now, if I had to leave early suddenly that would be a disaster! Please enlighten me with your knowledge! Thanks in advance. :C
by hodari (guest)  

Re: Change from working visa to tourist visa 2018/7/18 12:53
Another person on reddit was in a similar situation just recently, and their application was rejected. On the other hand I know of many other cases where it was no problem, and just required a short trip to immigration to change over. So it seems that it is entirely up to the discretion of the immigration officer who handles your application.

I would have a "plan b" so whatever happens you are prepared.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Change from working visa to tourist visa 2018/7/18 13:56
It is better not to use the term JAP since it is ethnic slur and is sensitive.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread