Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Learning from Youtube and dramas 2018/7/19 19:20
Hello there!
What do you think about studying how Japanese YouTubers/actors-in-dramas speak? I'm studying for N2 now, but I feel that my output ability is not so good. I mean, I can hold conversations just fine, I can say what I want to say most of the time, but sometimes I can't do so, which makes me feel stupid because sometimes it will be something really easy but I misuse something which makes the whole sentence wrong. For example, particles(a bit more than rarely but still).
And... What do you do to improve your speaking skill other than practicing? I mean, to make it sound like how natives speak.
Because I realized that in Japanese(maybe some other languages too{ there a lot of set phrases(A way of saying something that everyone uses). That makes your sentence sound unnatural even if it was grammatically correct.
Thank you-.
by Lolipop (guest)  

Re: Learning from Youtube and dramas 2018/7/20 17:40
maybe but personally i think speaking with native speakers is the only way to learn to speak like them.
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Learning from Youtube and dramas 2018/7/22 04:43
Watching videos can help in learning any language, especially in comprehension. Mimicking the videos, especially Japanese, word for word can have pitfalls unless you are careful. Because in conversational Japanese, there are differences depending on the situation (e.g., polite or casual), the gender, or dialects. So, understand those differences then go for it.
by 88T (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Learning from Youtube and dramas 2018/7/22 19:04
Yes, I do know how to differentiate casual, polite, dialect or gender ways of speaking. I meant, how they structure their sentences and such.
And then other commenter, you might be right!
Anyways, thank you all for the replies!
by Lolipop (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread