Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 nights in winter 2018/7/20 19:30
I will be in Japan in January for 8 nights. I will be in Tokyo for four nights and not sure what to do for the last four nights. Would it be better to do some side trips out of Tokyo, for example Nikko, Hakone, Kamakura? Or should I go somewhere else? Maybe Kyoto for three nights and then one final night in Tokyo, or four nights in Kyoto and then back to Tokyo after the eighth night and straight to the airport. I'm not sure if winter will affect where the best places to visit would be.

Some considerations - I will be on a budget so trying to reduce costs where I can.

Thanks for any help!
by mowgli (guest)  

Re: 8 nights in winter 2018/7/21 10:05
How about you take advantage of the Tokyo Wide Pass and visit north for minimal cost? A rotenburo in the snow is my favourite, for example.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_06.html
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: 8 nights in winter 2018/7/21 13:20
If your budget allows, I highly recommend a trip to Kyoto (with a side trip from Kyoto to Nara). For a 8-nt trip, 4&4 in Tokyo&Kyoto sound like a reasonable itinerary.
by yosa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 nights in winter 2018/7/21 16:57
Kyoto is a great touring city for everyone and there are many foreign tourists everywhere of Kyoto so the locals are used to being asked any questions from foreigners. It's an easy place to go around. However, it depends on what you really want to do in Japan. If you're interested in local life or country life of Japan, it would be fun to go unknown cities around Tokyo :)
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 nights in winter 2018/7/21 17:26
Thanks for the replies so far. I like the sound of the Tokyo wide pass, and it would make the trip easier to stay in Tokyo and do some side trips.

However as another poster commented Kyoto would be easy as a foreign tourist considering also that I don't speak any Japanese, however will try to learn some phrases. Are the areas north of Tokyo, for example Nikko or other areas more difficult as a first time traveller with no Japanese language skills?
by Mowgli (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 nights in winter 2018/7/22 08:15
While kyoto is a very good suggestion, it is pretty expensive there. There are plenty of other places that are much cheaper for accomodation etc if you are wanting to save some $$. I'd head out along the Hokuriku line, eg Bessho Onsen (very cheap, nice little onsen town just off Ueda) then on to Kanazawa, maybe divert off to Matsumoto or Takayama or Shirakawa.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread