Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/21 00:37
Hi,

Is there a bus departing from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle?

My plan is to catch a bus from Fukui station to the temple, and then from the temple to the castle. Then from the castle to Tojinbo. Is this doable? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
by Mia (guest)  

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/21 11:53
In 2016 I visited that area. At Fukui station the Tourist Information office was able to give me bus schedules. I took a bus from Fukui Station to Maruoka Castle and then a bus to Eiheiji. Those two bus trips were about forty minutes each.

I don't think you could do Tojinbo in the same day....at least I didn't .....I think that requires a train and bus from Fukui....

Hope that helps!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/21 21:14
Thanks Maranyc!
by Mia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/22 07:42
You can do them all in one day, I did it last year, but it requires planning.
There is a bus that goes from Eiheiji to Maruoka and then Tojinbo, it only runs three times a day. This is the timetable: https://my.ebook5.net/kfbus/6xQLqS/
Getting the Eiheji/Tojinbo 2 day pass is worthwhile too.

I took the 9:20 Eiheji liner from Fukui station, arriving at 9:48. This is the timetable for that: https://bus.keifuku.co.jp/hw/eiheiji.shtml
I had enough time to go through Eiheiji and get a morning snack in the town before catching the 11:41am bus to Maruoka castle, arriving at 12:20. I had more than enough time to explore the castle and have lunch there, and then caught the 2:20pm bus to Tojinbo, arriving at 3:28. If I remember correctly the last bus is 5:20pm to Arawaonsen station, and you'd have to take the train back from there.
We decided to not take a boat ride, and spent about an hour at Tojinbo before going to the footbaths at the station and enjoying them for a bit.

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/22 08:55
Yes, I think it is possible as well. We did the following journey: Awara Onsen to Tojinbo to Maruoka Castle and back to Awara Onsen and finished by mid-afternoon. We did not have much information at the time and had to wait for the tourist information centre to open, and they were very helpful in forming our itinerary according to the bus schedules. Buses there are not very frequent, typically one or two per hour, so look up the bus schedules and plan your journey accordingly.

When you buy the bus pass, it is a good idea to show them your rail pass (if you have one), you may get a discount. We had a JR Hokuriku Area Pass and got a discount on the 2 day bus pass.
by Green Tea Latte rate this post as useful

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/7/22 11:33
I am a slower traveler than you guys.....and I had it all planned out to use two days.....

Yes, it could be done in one day....hope I didn't mislead you too much, Mia....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Bus from Eiheiji Temple to Maruoka castle 2018/8/3 18:28
Thanks all!

@Mon I'll definitely follow your plan. I have limited days so I want to squeeze things in as much as I possibly can.

@Maranyc No, not at all! Your help is much appreciated.
by Mia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread