Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/23 13:13
I am an artist traveling from the US to Tokyo in early November. I will be exhibiting my work at an international art show. My art will be for sale during the show. I will be visiting Tokyo a total of 13 days, only 2 of which will be for the art show, the rest of the time will be spent doing regular tourist activities. I am having trouble figuring out what type of visa I should apply for and where. I know that from the US for normal tourism under 90 days no visa, only a passport is required, but it states it is not applicable for stays involving paid activities. I looked into the artist visa, but it is complicated and appears to be for those seeking to live in Japan for an extended amount of time. I looked into a business visa, but it also states that it is not applicable for stays involving paid activities. I would just chance it and enter the country as a tourist, but I am transporting the figurines I will be selling in my checked luggage (Shipping to the venue in Tokyo is INSANELY expensive.) There will be a lot of them, so If I get stopped at customs it could be an issue. If anyone could point me in the right direction here I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
by GypsyDanger216  

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/24 10:46
Enter on the visa waiver programme (you might call it a tourist visa, but it covers what you are doing).

Your sales of your art are not "working in Japan" so work/business visas do not apply.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/24 13:38
why you dont contact your local Japanese embassy.
If this exhibition is important you better to arrange well than asking on forum.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/26 09:48
why you dont contact your local Japanese embassy
Because local embassies and their staff sometimes know even less than the person asking the question. That was certainly my experience when dealing with them before moving to Japan. They gave me false/wrong/misleading information, so I checked all the avenues myself and god some good professional advisers

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/26 13:39
@JapanCustomTours

I totally disagree. I never had any bad experience.
If the person goes to official websites and collect data and based on this data ask questions there are no issues.

Getting false or not good information is really related to the questions.

Asking random people gives so much different answers.

But this is my opinion. I did not ask you this question.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/26 18:25
i really don't understand why some people here like to bash others for what they personally judge as a stupid question to make in this forum.

I guess if you don't know the answer and can be of no help, it's better not to reply at all....
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What kind of visa do I need? 2018/7/26 18:29
@justmyday - I understand. We all have different experiences. I found my "local" embassy pretty useless, and had to do things myself. I received bad advice but that was my situation.

Operating and doing business in Japan from an overseas base I learned what was relevant and important for the Japanese authorities, but that is my professional training as well. For the OP, they seem to be operating a business (artistic) outside of Japan, so those activities are covered by the visa waiver program. That program includes activities other than tourism and includes people visiting Japan specifically for business. I used it that way for several years, and may do so again (for other reasons).

If they are able to get good advice from their local embassy, great. Would I rely on it, in my experience, no.

reply to this thread