Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/26 04:34
I plan to visit Tokyo and I will use the metro ,Toei and JR Yamamote line some times during 2 days.
Could I buy one single of JR( or metro ) ticket, for the price of ( for example) 420 \ and use it, 3 times in different days and from different stations ( 3x140\)?
by steve (guest)  

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/26 12:31
Buy a pasmo or suica card and dont worry about tickets.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/26 15:05
@Hakata14 is correct as usual, get an IC card.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/26 18:30
If you buy individual tickets, that would be one ticket per ride. One 160-yen ticket, for example.
But as mentioned, you can buy a prepaid card (IC card) and use it to ride the different kinds of trains you mentioned, with the fare deducted as you go, you can top it up.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/26 18:41
You mention three different companies. There are at least 14 different rail companies in Tokyo (that is my current count) and restricting to one or two will simply waste your valuable time in the city. A few hundred yen on the trains is largely a trivial part of your overall trip cost and picking the more efficient time option is actually more important/relevant.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/31 05:26
Thank you for your answers, but could I use Suica card in private train line as Keiyu line, which connects Haneda and Narita airports whith Tokyo city?
by steve (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/31 05:36
Yes, you can use SUICA card on all trains you mentioned.
The only thing left to think about is whether to return it for refund (less fee) at the end of your trip, or keep it as a souvenir/use of the next trip.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html?src=gnavi
by tetsuko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR and Tokyo Metro tickets 2018/7/31 11:10
Yes, get a SUICA or one of the other stored value cards. They are quite useful.

Just on the paper tickets, if you did buy a Y420 ticket hoping to use it for three Y140 rides, you would find that when you insert it into the ticket gate, it would be retained on exit - that is how the system works. You don't get refunded if you buy a more expensive ticket for your trip.

Having said that, if you were buying tickets (which I still do for some lines not covered by SUICA in Tokyo), it is pretty quick/simple once you've done it a few times. You can always get the cheapest ticket and then do a fare adjustment at the manned window when exiting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread