Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about Jongdari Typhon disaster 2018/7/29 19:07
Hy everybody,

I'm very worried about the weather situation near Honchu after the typhon Jongdari Last night.
Because i will take my flight for Tokyo next week (the 4 august) and i planned to travel throught the ouest area like Naoshima, Teshima, Shodoshima, Nara, Kobe, Kyoto...
But do you think it's already a good idea to travel on this area after the storm, even if it's ok to go there, what about the landscape situation, or the local people condition?
If i need to replanned my trip for the north part of the country it s possible i have one week in front of me before i go the 4 august.

Best regards

Niko from Paris
by Kamui76 (guest)  

Re: Question about Jongdari Typhon disaster 2018/7/29 19:13
Disaster? Where did you hear about a disaster? It is not a particularly strong typhoon, and - although I have yet to watch the evening news - I have not heard of any major damage caused by the typhoon in the areas that you plan to visit (or elsewhere). I see no reason to cancel or modify your trip. But please read non-sensational news tomorrow and make a judgement.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Jongdari Typhon disaster 2018/7/30 01:06
yep, agree with PP, no disaster. I was in Osaka during the typhoon, and as it passed in the middle of the night I didn't notice it at all. Today the only visible sign of the typhoon I have seen was a potted plant in front of a shop that had fallen over. On TV in the morning they were reporting from a hotel in Atami (Izu peninsula) where the windows got broken by the heavy wind/waves and water came into the dinning room area where people had dinner, and then got wet feet. Pictures showed about 10, max 20 cm of water standing in the room.

So really no need to change your travel plans.

It is however quite hot, so please take precautions against heatstroke, such as avoiding to go out in the peak heat hours, using shades, sunhats, fans...

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Jongdari Typhon disaster 2018/7/30 01:50
as @Uji says, it wasnt a disaster. There is no reason to change your plans. I just hope you are prepared for how hot Japan can be in August. Enjoy yourself.

Have a look at japanews24 from ANN-tvasahi on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu2etwHzcvw to get an idea of the current reporting.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Question about Jongdari Typhon disaster 2018/7/30 08:19
There were a few injuries and power outage, but it wasn't even classified as a typhoon by Sunday.
The weather certainty didn't stop me (and many hundreds of others in my local area) going out either day during the weekend.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread