Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Affect of 2018 Flooding 2018/8/1 11:16
Hello,

I was wondering how the recent natural disasters have affected the areas past Kyoto (Kyushu or Chugoku)? I have been to most of central Japan on a previous trip and planned to visit end of August. I am assuming the areas are unfit for tourism as they recover?
by Helur (guest)  

Re: Affect of 2018 Flooding 2018/8/1 18:06
I am not aware of any sightseeing attractions that is still closed due to the floods. But there are some train lines that are affected. Substitute buses operate instead. Affected by such train disruptions are access to Matsuyama, Uwajima and Takayama. You can find details on each destination access page on japan-guide.com.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Affect of 2018 Flooding 2018/8/2 01:57
Thanks for the answer. I know that many cities are rebuilding from the damage even if sightseeing locations are open. Are there locations that I should perhaps not visit due to the reconstruction going on?
by Helur (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Affect of 2018 Flooding 2018/8/2 13:43
It would be quite unlikely you would be going to the areas that were affected. Many accommodation providers are lamenting the blanket descriptions of flooding in Japan when they didn't suffer any ill effects, but then had a wave of cancellations from people cancelling their trips.

To give an example - we had a group arrive in Hiroshima the day after the typhoon. The only disruption they had was their reservation to the Mazda Museum was cancelled as the company closed operations for two days - just two days. Everything else they had planned and scheduled during their visit to the city went ahead as normal. Later, we did re-route around Takayama due to the disruption of the train access to the town, and I understand there are several pieces of work being undertaken on that line to restore full access.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Affect of 2018 Flooding 2018/8/2 14:50
I know that many cities are rebuilding from the damage

No major city center or tourist district was affected. It hit mainly rural towns and city outskirts where tourists are not usually going.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread