Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/1 20:35
I have to travel to Japan for work on end of October and I would like to spend 2 or 3 days to travel to Okinawa and see as much as possible. Specially beaches and sea. What do you recommend to visit? I know there aren't many days but it is what I can do..
Also I have a doubt about car license. A Japanese friend told me that since some years before it is forbidden to drive with International license without passing an exam in Japan. Following this I couldn't rent a car and I should move around Okinawa by bus. Is it ok for moving around? On rest of Japan I know car it is not necessary but seems that Okinawa is different.

Thanks a lot!!
by pwwaga (guest)  

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/2 12:54
No, If you are in only in Japan for a short period of time (I think under six months and not on a working visa) you can rent a car with an international license.
by Stokley rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/2 19:44
Thanks for reply! About what island I should visit on this concrete time, what do you recommend? I would like to introduce myself in snorkel and some quiet time near the sea.

Thanks
by pwwaga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/2 19:50
@ Stokley

You need more than a international drivers license, depending where you are from, you need a translation or a international driver permit, along with the international drivers license.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/7 17:00
European here, we need a translation of our normal driving license (not the international one) into Japanese. Arranged to have it done in Japan, cost was about 3000-3500 JPY.

If you can get a car: one day southern Okinawa, one day Motobu peninsula or further north, half day Naha.
Without a car: focus on South, I think there might be more bus lines as generally more touristy. I think you can get by without a car in Naha, but reaching Shuri Castle etc. might be more convenient.

In Spring 2018, most car rentals were located outside the airport due to construction: you need to take a shuttle bus ( about 20 min) from and to the airport. Due to your limited time, that might be worth checking beforehand.

by Mary (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/7 18:42
Look up the rules on international driving permits.
The advice youfre getting on here is not accurate/comprehensive.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/15 11:55
Hi pwwaga and mensore (welcome) to Okinawa.

If you already have International Drivers Permit it would be valid in Japan. Just do not forget to take your Drivers License as well. Renting a car is highly recommended for Okinawa if you want to see many spots. But. if you plan to stay in one hotel and spend most time at the beach, then public transportation is enough. There might be a shuttle bus from the airport if you pick larger hotel.

Swimming season in Okinawa is till the end of October, so most services like snorkel rental, glass boat, etc. would be still available.

Sea is the main attraction in Okinawa. Other places would be Churaumi (HUGE aquarium) with whale sharks and more, and Okinawa World - a long pass-through limestone cave. In the evening I would recommend visiting, or even staying in Mihama (American Village) with lots of illumination and many small restaurants.
by Okinawa resident (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Okinawa in only 2 days and a half without car 2018/8/16 20:08
Thank you! I finally travel to Okinawa main island and one day i will go to Aka and sleep there. I would like to do diving (1st time) and snorkel. So i hope there are some options to do these activities there.
by pwwaga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread