Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toshikoshi in Kyoto 2018/8/2 17:28
Hi!

I would like to learn about one or two things about going through the new year's day in Japan. By the end of this December, I will be in Kyoto.

1) I would like to experience the Joya no Kane in Chion-in Temple during the eve. Is there any information of when the entrance for that will open and close? I would love to be at the front row (not necessarily at the first line, but close enough at least), what time should I get there?

2) For the Hatsumode, the one I am planning to visit is the Fushimi Inari Taisha and I will do it on January 1st. I know it will be extremely crowded, but I would like to get some feedback from those who know well or had experienced it before, just how crowded it can be? Like, how about if I arrive there very early in the morning, say at 5 or 6? Or even at 4? Will I still be up for a long long queue?

Thanks!
by Indra G  

Re: Toshikoshi in Kyoto 2018/8/5 22:13
This is in regards to Jyoyanokane at Chion-in Temple as below:
16:30 Closing for prayers on the day
19:00 starting lining up for the first ring at the Black Gate
20:30 The Black Gate opens and prayers start entering.
22:30 If you want to hear the sound of bell at noon, you should line up. This may be the time limit for
lining up.
around 22:40 Joyanokane starts.
23:00 The Black Gate closes.

Good luck!
by Hirohiroboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread