Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/7 05:12
so im really interested in the mext scholarship that the japanese government provides. but since i have no clue about japan prices, i was wondering if 117000 yen would be enough to live decently in Tokyo? (including paying the rent with the money too)
by dreamer (guest)  

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/7 11:58
No.

Try double that amount - makes it a bit easier to live.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/7 14:17
Try double that amount - makes it a bit easier to live.

Well, sadly many Japanese students live at 120000 yen per month, according to University Coop.

https://www.univcoop.or.jp/press/life/report.html

The rent is 50000+ yen per month and 25000 yen for food. Of course this is average, and may not be reliable.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/7 15:37
The data I posted are for all university students in Japan. Tokyo students might pay more for rent, but I think 50000 yen is on rather expensive side outside of Tokyo.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/8 08:47
@Frog1954 - existing on that income is one thing, living is a different matter. I don't think I would be so keen living on instant noodles in a tiny single room apartment these days. As you note, it is possible. However, it night not be desirable. Probably the piece missing is if that 117,000/month is pre or post taxes/insurances. Things like resident taxes or mandatory health insurances can take a large chunk if you're not expecting it.

And my comment suggesting double - that was more to emphasize that I thought they should budget higher by a decent margin. I know a lot of people live with incomes under 200,000/month (and it comes out a lot lower after deductions).

However, having said that and acknowledging it is a long time since I was a student, expecting to be able to live on a scholarship without supplementing it at all would be quite difficult.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/8 10:55
I could do it easily. But it depends on your definition of gliving decentlyh. Are you happy to live in either a very small room or a room with shared facilities? Buy a bike and rarely take the train anywhere? Cook almost everything from scratch, rarely being able to afford to eat out or even at the convenience store? Sacrifice most luxuries including all buy essential shopping trips? Itfs absolutely doable, but entirely dependent on your ability to live a happy life while also making sacrifices.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/8 11:40
I could do it easily too! depends on what you espect, but try to live in a university dormatory and even eating cheap but delicious food from the university cafetaria was fine for me! Studying is a full time job, yoj wont be at home so much, but spend a lot of time with other students on the campus!
dont worry about tax and health care so much, as a student it wont cost so much!
I recommend to talk to someone from the university about your money concerns, pretty sure they can give you some advices!
good luck!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 117,000 yen a month enough in Tokyo? 2018/8/9 19:40
I spent several years as a MEXT student, first at 120 000 JPY, then at 140 000 JPY. The rent at my dormitory was 40 000 JPY per month (higher than usual). I never ate cup ramen or cooked. Actually, I managed to travel regularly around the entire country. Not by bike, but by trains, buses and planes.
Surely the more the easier, but you can have plenty of fun and quite some treats if you plan smartly and know where good deals are. I fully recommend MEXT program to everyone.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

reply to this thread