Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/8 14:44
Can I use my JR East Rail Pass for the Ltd Exp Narita Express ?

I am trying to get the best way from Odawara to Narita Airport.
If it is too convoluted, I would just stay in Ueno for my final night before going to the Narita Airport.
by jj (guest)  

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 03:54
Which JR East Pass? There are several.

Have a look on
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/index.html?src=pcbtn
and check the coverage maps provided.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 08:10
Most of the JR East passes cover the N'Ex. Even the Hokuriku pass covers the airport lines.
About the only one that doesn't cover the N'Ex is the Tohoku/South-Hokkaido pass, but that doesn't even cover Tokyo.
From Odawara, you cannot use the shinkansen back to Tokyo, but the express trains do not take that long anyway.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 13:06
The closest N'EX boarding spot from Odawara would be Ofuna station. You'd have to ride the regular train lines to Ofuna where you can board the N'EX. It's about 40 minutes to Ofuna, and then about 1 hour 45 minutes from Ofuna to Narita. So you would probably want to leave Odawara like 4 hours before your flight to leave room for error.

The quickest way would be to take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Shinagawa and then switch to the N'EX, but JR East passes don't cover the bullet train between Odawara and Tokyo. You'd need the full JR pass for that.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 13:55
I am planning to buy the JR East Pass ,..Nagano &Niigata...didn't know it had such a restriction of not being able to use Shinkansen from Odawara to TokyoThank you for the replies. I will have to rethink my plans.

Is it even worth it to go to Odawara? I just wanted to stay at the new toyoko inn.
by Jj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 14:16
I used that exact pass on my last trip to Tokyo. You have to ride the regular commuter rail between Tokyo and Odawara station with that pass. It's about 70-80 minutes on a train with subway style seats. I liked seeing the smaller towns once we got past Yokohama, though, so it wasn't an awful ride, but it seemed much more boring on the ride back! Shinkansen will save you 40 minutes, but that's not worth the 4000y fare to me.

Odawara is a nice little town, but I don't know if it is really a destination unto itself. Most people stay there as a gateway to Hakone or for a daytrip to see the castle. I spent a few hours there and enjoyed myself, but I didn't feel like it was worth a night there. If you wanted to visit the area, you could head back and stay in Ofuna afterward. That's where you can board the N'Ex, and it's also maybe 5 minutes from Kamakura. You could visit that in the afternoon and next morning before heading to the airport. Kamakura is definitely worth a visit.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ltd Exp Narita Express & JR East Pass 2018/8/9 16:01
Shinkansen Odawara to Tokyo is Y3,220 and 35 minutes - not expensive. I used it two weeks ago rather than messing around with the express trains (which would be covered by the JREast pass). With the express trains, transfer at Yokohama - easy.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread