Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bike tours Tokyo & Kyoto for first visit? 2018/8/13 02:44
Hi,

I am visiting Japan for the first time this September and I would like to see as much as possible. I am arriving on Wednesday in Tokyo and leaving on Saturday to Kyoto. We will leave Kyoto on Tuesday.

Would it be a good idea to do a bike tour in those cities during our limited time or do you suggest we visit the sights by public transport? I saw these ones on TripAdvisor: Bicycle tours Tokyo & Cycle Kyoto (full tour).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kind Regards,

Caro
by Caro (guest)  

Re: Bike tours Tokyo & Kyoto for first visit? 2018/8/13 03:15
It depends on what you want to see, of course.

Generally speaking, Tokyo's public transportation system is well-developed such that you can go almost anywhere by train (and buses to supplement trains).

Kyoto's public transportation system is not as well developed as Tokyo's, but you can still go to most places by combination of trains and/or buses, plus lots of walking. Many of the attractions in Kyoto are scattered, so bicycle rental is a good way to get around.
by G10 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike tours Tokyo & Kyoto for first visit? 2018/8/13 08:03
I canft comment on tours in Kyoto, but the ones in Tokyo I know donft go to the major attractions but rather explore the everyday part of Tokyo. I think that this sounds like a very interesting idea for sightseeing. Eg.

http://freewheeling.jp/

Alternatively if you just want to get around by bicycle rather than subway/train, consider renting a bicycle. Docomo electrical bicycles can be rented at a lot of stations and you can buy either a 1 day pass or pay by the hour.

http://docomo-cycle.jp/minato/en_map/sp_index.html

I am a big fan of cycling and do not have an issue with cycling on major streets, but consider that cycling lanes are nearly absent. You can generally cycle on the walkway but it means winding through pedestrians. (And before the law abiding posters get crazy: yes, I know that the Japanese law is a bit murky on if you are allowed to cycle on the sidewalk or not. But as a matter of fact along major roads it is totally common).
The better cycling experience is cycling through small neighborhood roads or along rivers. But thatfs then more for the cycling than major sightseeing.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bike tours Tokyo & Kyoto for first visit? 2018/8/13 14:50
I would suggest that this is a good place to start looking at cycling tours in Kyoto http://www.kctp.net/new/en/tour/index.html I have not personally been on one of their tours but have hired a bike from them on many occasions and have been very impressed.
Re: the comment by @Likebike about riding on the walkway, I have had policemen stop me & make me ride on the road but I have also had them stop me riding on the road & make me ride on the walkway. Once I had both on the same ride out to Arashiyama so even the Police are not sure. It was all very polite.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Bike tours Tokyo & Kyoto for first visit? 2018/8/13 15:03
For a whirlwind fast trip like yours. I wouldn't think about a bike. Good for exploring etc as others have noted. But you don't have time for exploring.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread