Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Osaka - Hiroshima day trip? 2018/8/14 04:09
Hi, we are visiting in September on a to week itinerary.

- Is it viable to plan a day trip to Hiroshima from a base in either Osaka or Kyoto?

Thank you in advance.
by JB02  

Re: Osaka - Hiroshima day trip? 2018/8/14 10:40
How much of Hiroshima do you want to see?

It is possible, but I don't recommend it especially from Kyoto. From Osaka to Miyajima, for example, is about 2.5 hr trip one way. So 5 hours is spent for RT transportation alone - that's too much.
by isla ola (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Hiroshima day trip? 2018/8/14 11:51
I did that once. I don't recommend it.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Hiroshima day trip? 2018/8/14 12:55
Hi!

I've done Kyoto/Osaka to Miyajima at least 2x. It's doable depending on how much you want to see and your touring pace.

I tend to do the 8:00 am Hikari from Kyoto which goes direct to Hiroshima. I sometimes nap on the train since Hiroshima is the last stop. I have had it take longer than I would like to get back, but since I am frequently taking a Sakura to Shin-Osaka before transferring, I once again tend to nap.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka - Hiroshima day trip? 2018/8/15 11:26
It is very easy. The Hikari at 7:20 am (at Kyoto) is the one running direct to Hiroshima (105 minutes). Split 1/2 day at Miyajima and 1/2 day in Hiroshima city - that is pretty typical.

As for the comment about travel time - many day trips promoted out of Tokyo are similar (like Nikko), so Hiroshima is not really any different from that. Some of the ones around Kyoto/Osaka are shorter, but Kyoto-Mt Koya also takes a while. Also for context, some trips across a city like Tokyo take as long there and back.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread