Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iya valley driving itinerary 2018/8/15 10:42
Hi I am wondering if the following itinerary for Iya Valley is doable in the last week of November 2018. We will have our own rental car and have the following questions.

28 November (Western Iya Valley) :Pick car from Matsuyama- > Visit Oboke/Koboke gorge-> Manneken Pis/Iyakei Valley-> day trip to Iya Onsen ->Kazurabashi Bridge and Biwa waterfall-> Stay in Ryokan Kazurabashi/Kazuraya overnight

29 November (Eastern Iya Valley) : Chiorii Trust or Kita Clan Samurai house ->Ochiai Village ->Okuiya Monorail (option 1)) -> Scarecrow village -> Okuiya Kazurabashi-> Mount Tsurigi (Option 2) - Drive to and overnight Asan Kotonami Ryokan

30 November :Asan Kotonami-> Manno Observatory (Mt. Daisen)- >Konpira shrine -> Ritsurin Garden Takamatsu -> Mount Yashima-> Overnight Takamatsu.

1. What is suggested driving route from Matsuyama using the expressway?
Do we turn in from Otoyo, visit Oboke/Koboke first and then the rest of the West Iya itinerary? Or is it better to drive down Route 32?

2. For Heike musuem / Chiorii Trust /Kita Clan Samurai house is it worth visiting for non-Japanese speakers without a guide- do the exhibits have english descriptions etc?

3. Is Tsugiri chairlift open on 29 November?The website mentions that it is open until end November but dosen't give a specific date. Our alternative option is to do the Okuiya monorail.

4. Is there anything to see or rest stops for the long drive between Tsugiri chairlift and Asan Kotonami Ryokan? I can't find anything of interest of attractions even in the tourism websites.

Thank you for your advice.
by Namelessoldier  

Re: Iya valley driving itinerary 2018/8/19 04:16
1. What is suggested driving route from Matsuyama using the expressway?
Do we turn in from Otoyo, visit Oboke/Koboke first and then the rest of the West Iya itinerary? Or is it better to drive down Route 32?

Take the expressways to the Igawa exit, and back track to 32 going south following the Yoshino River
??? Oboke and Koboke are both on Rt. 32, as well as Ohsugi if you want to see that. If you want the complete western Iya Valley, turn east into it at Iyaguchi. To split the difference, there is a narrow winding road that leads up from Oboke past a temple and through a tunnel into the Iya Valley (rt 45). You'd have to go a bit north to see the small statue and then double back to the vine-covered cable bridges.

2. For Heike musuem / Chiorii Trust /Kita Clan Samurai house is it worth visiting for non-Japanese speakers without a guide- do the exhibits have english descriptions etc?
Depends on your interests. Mine? No. I've seen plenty of Heike/warabuki stuff and samurai/merchant house museums. I've just ridden past (motorcycle touring).

3. Is Tsugiri chairlift open on 29 November?The website mentions that it is open until end November but dosen't give a specific date. Our alternative option is to do the Okuiya monorail.
It should be open.

4. Is there anything to see or rest stops for the long drive between Tsugiri chairlift and Asan Kotonami Ryokan? I can't find anything of interest of attractions even in the tourism websites.
Just steep valley sides. That road north from Tsurugi is sometimes closed for construction or repair after heavy rain and landslides. The Kenzanenpuku Temple is right at the start near the base of Tsurugi-san. There's a big cedar tree at Kuwadairudou no Ohsugi (http://hitozato-kyoboku.com/kuwadairadou-sugi.htm). After the road to Tsurugi, it won't be much different. Just don't go east. There's nothing on that road except winding roads and mountain passes until you get close to Tokushima.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iya valley driving itinerary 2018/8/19 05:19
Don't forget Ozu and its castle. From afar on the bridge over the river, it is quite exquisite.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ushikawa/Iyo-2_zpsn0q0pmqb.jpg
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread