Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yakkan Shoumei 2018/8/16 08:43
Hello

We'll be in Japan for 89 days (one day short of the tourist visa time limit) from the end of August. We have some prescription medicines we need to take with us, and I have applied for a Yakkan Shoumei for them. The drugs are not controlled in Japan, but we need the Yakkan Shoumei due to the quantity.

My question is, what do we do with it at the airport? We'll complete the customs form on the plane, and hand that over when we go through customs. Every other time we've had nothing to declare, and have just been waved through-the only question we've ever had (half joking I think) is why we have so little luggage-and it might well be the same this time.

I'm not inclined to proffer the Yakkan Shoumei, but plan to have it, and the prescription meds, in my hand luggage in a ziplock bag so I can hand the lot over if necessary for them to look at.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to approach this?
by Who? (guest)  

Re: Yakkan Shoumei 2018/8/16 10:41
I have never offered mine....for three years of receiving one, up until this year the yakkan shoumei letter said bring it with you when you come.... this year there was a new inspector and that person did say to show it to customs.........but I didn't....

This is what it says in the PDF I have with the blank forms:
"You have to bring the gYakkan Shoumeih with your medicines in order to show it to the Customs on request when you arrive in Japan." Note 'on request.'

The form you fill out for Customs doesn't say anything about drugs except narcotics et al:
http://www.customs.go.jp/kaisei/youshiki/form_C/C5360-B.pdf
imo, nothing listed applies to prescription drugs for which you need the Yakkan Shoumei because of a visit of over thirty days....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Yakkan Shoumei 2018/8/16 12:11
Thanks maryanc that all makes good sense. I couldn't find the customs declaration online when I looked, but I agree it doesn't ask about the kinds of things we're taking.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread