Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pension system: from student to employee 2018/8/19 00:24
Hello guys!
I have a question regarding Japanese pension system, topic that I saw was discussed also previously.
In my case, I have been in Japan 3 times. From September 2015 to August 2016 and from January 2017 to October 2017 as a student (both as no-income person, I didn't even done part time jobs because I was with scholarship or internship allowance). During these years, I have been enrolled in the Health System but not in the Pension one. When they asked me if I wanted I said it was necessary because I would have left the country after some months.
From April of this year I have been hired in a company that pays also my pension and I got my Pension book.
The problem is that I have received now 3 payslips to pay. Two for the past 2 years, and the other one for April.
My question are:
1) Should I pay also the one referred during my student period? How can avoid or get a reduction or split of the payments?
2) The third payslip should not be included into the pension deduction that my company does every month on my payslip?

Thank you for your support and answers!
by Kile92  

Re: Pension system: from student to employee 2018/8/20 14:13
Hi,

You will be exempt from paying Pension if you were a student and lived based on a Scholarship.
You will need to prove the year of enrollment, date of graduation and some evidence about the scholarship. Scholarship is tax-exempted so you can omit the bulk payment you received for the last 2 years. (I also did the same)

If your pension is automatically deducted from the salary since you worked in the Japanese employer you need not worry. When you visit the City Office/ Pension office to discuss the 'Student' issue just tell them that your company is looking after the Pension payments now. If you can keep the Employer's Admin officer posted on both the issues. (I also did the same)
by Adi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pension system: from student to employee 2018/8/20 19:42
Thank you Adi!

Good news thenm.
I hope they will not force me to pay if I don't show evidence of scholarship because I don't have any (email maybe are ok?). Besides, the second year actually I was an intern and I got an allowance (no slaray) from my company.

I will go to Ward Office and I will ask for exemption. Let's hope!
by Kile92 rate this post as useful

Re: Pension system: from student to employee 2018/8/21 09:39
Your situation is a bit complex to my understanding.
Better visit the City Office.
Take a document proving your entry date and graduation date a student.
A copy of the Student ID card would be ideal too.

All the best !
by Adi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread