Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jobs for gaijin in Japan? 2018/8/20 04:22
Hello,

I am a Czech citizen/US resident married to a Japanese citizen/US resident.

We have a bit saved and would love to move to Japan, however I need to think worst case that I am the sole earner, so my questions are:

How much would you recommend having saved prior to the move?

What jobs, outside of teaching, should I look into? My Japanese is basic at the moment, but I am learning. English speaking positions preferred, but open to suggestions that are applicable to Japanese basic understanding.

Thank you for your help!
by Czechrebel33  

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/20 08:24
You havenft told us at what you are working currently. Most positions in Japan will require an at least reasonable level of Japanese. Even menial jobs like working in a conbini. However if you are a professional of some kind, you might be able to find work without Japanese. Itfs not easy but the more specialized you are the likelier. Eg I know several computer experts you know very little Japanese even after years but have fixed jobs. Also researchers at research institutions I know often know no Japanese.

The other alternative is obviously teaching.

As you are married (?) to a Japanese you can get a spouse visa which will allow you to work in any kind of job, so thatfs a big advantage over other foreigners.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/20 14:32
Thank you for your response!

Yes, we are married, so that should make things easier.

Ifve managed restaurants for a decade and bartended as well. I love coffee and if we were to stay state-side I would probably open a coffee shop. Other than that no real technical or trade expertise.
by Czechrebel33 rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/20 15:07
You yourself would probably come in on a spouse visa. So you can do any job you want. Pending language and personal skills.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/20 15:09
Forgot to add. You partner is normally your sponser when applying for a spouse visa. But since she has no income in Japan. You would require another sponser other than your wife.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/21 02:12
Thatfs great information, thank you.
by Czechrebel33 rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/22 08:33
It's gaikokujin or gaijin .
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gainin in Japan? 2018/8/22 08:55
there are several jobs in Japan, but as mentioned you need still some basic Japanese.

Jobs outside English Teacher
- Car companies (Trade)
- Cleaning
- IT
- House man
- Relocation work
- Construction work

But most job requires daily conversation.
Opening a own shop will be more challenging since you are dealing with customers and you need to speak fluently Japanese, if not you will not survive.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gaijin in Japan? 2018/8/23 13:37
You can try working in a car assembly plant or something like that. Many foreigners with minimal japanese language skills can work there. I work in the automotive field so I see it every time I have a chance to visit a factory.

They will teach you once, and then the job is repetitive and basically doesn't require you to talk. If there's an issue, hit the stop button, a lamp will turn on, and somebody will come and check.

It might not sound like the most satisfying job, but looks like you're not exactly in a position to be picky.
by burrito (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jobs for gaijin in Japan? 2018/8/24 10:36
Since your skills are in the hospitality industry, I would start by looking in that field. The international branded hotels more often than not hire foreigners, and transfer them from overseas to Japan. Not many are fluent in Japanese when they arrive!
I have seen these jobs advertised, I think it was in the LinkedIn site, for employment in Japan. As well the Tokyo American Club have a career page on their website, where they advertise their current jobs which are often restaurant positions. They usually state if they want Japanese language skills or not. The salary isn't usually that great to start, but would get you on the ladder!! Good Luck.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread