Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days Japan Express Pass worth it? 2018/8/20 20:15
Hi,
Just to check for below route and places, will it worth the 14 days JEP pass cost 34,000yen.

1) Kansai Airport to Kyoto
2) Kyoto to Tottori Sand Dunes
3) Kyoto to Kanazawa
4) Kanazawa to Toyama / Takayama / Shirakawa-go / Hida
5) Kanazawa to Fukui (Area)
6) Kanazawa to Nagoya
7) Nagoya to Kiso Valley / Gero Onsen
8) Nagoya to Nara
9) Nara to Mt Koyasan
10) Nara to Kansai Airport
by Alex (guest)  

Re: 14 days Japan Express Pass worth it? 2018/8/21 11:02
Hi!

I love rail passes, but I'm not so sure one makes sense in your particular case.

1) You can either pay 3600 yen and get a combo ICOCA card and Haruka ticket, 1600 yen for just a ticket to Kyoto or depending on if it works for your dates you could possibly use the 7 day Kansai Hokuriku Pass for 15,000 yen. It would cover the round trip to Tottori 15,100 yen alone on the round trip as well as the trip from Kyoto to Kanazawa and would be 6380.

Unless there is something you want to do in Toyama or the Hida is back up, it's probably easier to just not use JR right now and take the bus from Kanazawa to Takayama via Shirakawa Go.

It would also make sense to visit the Fukui area while your 7 day pass is still valid and before heading to Takayama. From Takayama, you can bus it to Matsumoto and catch a train to the Kiso valley. You'd be paying out of pocket for that much like the bus from Kanazawa to Takayama. From the Kiso Valley it is easy to get to Nagoya. It's 1850 yen by bus one way from Kanazawa to Shirakawa go and 2470 yen Shirakawa Go to Takayama and then 3190 from Takayama to Matsumoto. It's 2240 yen from Matsumoto to Nagiso. You can then travel from Nakatsugawa to Nagoya either by train for 3000 yen or via Highway bus for 1860. From Nagoya you can take a non reserved shinkansen from 5830 yen to Nara.

Nara is not so far from Koya-san via car but via trains it is usually faster to go back to Osaka then trying to get to Koya-san directly. So it would make more sense to do everything you wanted to do in Nara before heading back to Koya-san and then to either leave for the airport from Koya-san or spend the night in Osaka before flying. Koya-san is on the Nankai line so using a JR pass would not be useful. a JR Pass will cost you 46390 yen. I have a total of: 33580 for the 7 day pass, the bus between Shirakawa Go and Kanazawa, the bus between Shirakawa Go and Takayama, the bus between Takayama and Matsumoto, the train from Matsumoto to Kiso area. The train from the Kiso area to Nagoya, taking a Nozomi shinkansen from Nagoya to Kyoto to transfer for JR to Nara. I did not include the transport from Nara to Koya and from Koya back to Osaka because it would probably make the most sense to use Kintetsu from Nara and transfer a Shin-Imanamiya station even though it is JR because it is negligible at 560 yen. The rest of your transport would be via private lines to Koya-san regardless of having the pass and going back from Osaka to KIX you can either use a bus for 1000 yen, the Nankai line or use a Haruka, if you really really want. Coming from Koya-san once you get off the mountain, it's ~140 minutes from Gokurakubashi to KIX and costs 1400 yen via Nankai. It will take you over 140 minutes to get from Gokurakubashi back to Nara, which is why it doesn't make sense to return there post Koya-san.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan Express Pass worth it? 2018/8/22 12:09
You should definitely get the JR Pass.
According to your itinerary, you plan to travel a lot in Japan.
With the pass, you can ride on Shinkansen which usually expensive.
You can also take any JR lines with this pass, and JR runs all over Japan.
I can't purchase the pass since I am Japanese living here.
But if I can and were to take a trip with your itinerary, I will get the pass.

Be sure to explore Osaka, too!

Aki
www.sugarheadosaka.com
by Sugarhead Osaka rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan Express Pass worth it? 2018/8/22 14:08
The op asked about the japan expressway pass. Not japan rail pass.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Japan Express Pass worth it? 2018/8/22 17:53
I strongly recommend what our Friend sugar head Osaka suggests.
Because A foreigner From outside Japan, maximum time don't know which is Best transportation pass.JR Nationwide pass always considered as Dreams come true.So if Op gets maximum benefit from JR pass instead of Express pass, then its a great matter.
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread