Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 08:39
I'm going to be staying Airbnbs while in Japan and, since I can't guarantee I'll be there when my bag is delivered, I have been researching options.

I have found that I can get my bag delivered to a Yamato service centre, then swing by and collect it on my way past. This is perfect for me. The only thing is that the service centre list is in Japanese. I'm using google translate to find my way through ok but want to confirm that I am reading the symbols correctly.

I am staying by the Tokyo Skytree in Tokyo and have found this FamilyMart at the Skytree station is a service centre:
https://www.e-map.ne.jp/p/yamato01/dtl/0358190292/?&cond14=1&cond15=1&...

Can someone confirm for me that the green symbol says they can receive luggage? I think it does, but since this is a convenience store I didn't think they would receive luggage, which makes me concerned that I might be misreading.

by moonangelica (guest)  

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 10:49
convenience stores are not "service centers".
https://www.e-map.ne.jp/p/yamato01/dtl/131046/?&cond1=1&cond14=1&cond1...
this is a real service center near Tokyo skytree.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 10:58
The FamilyMart shown is listed as send, receive, 24 hours, seven days a week. (The browser translation didn't have any issues.) Most combinis offer that service.
You can send your luggage to that store, and also from that store.
(Note - you do know it is not a same day service and you will simply be forwarding your excess stuff.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 11:04
to convenience stores, receiving a small package, a total of 3 sizes is less than 100 cm and a weight is less than 10 kg.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 11:42
@ ken: I know it's not a service centre as such but that is how the site is describing it. To clarify, in your second message do you mean that convenience stores can only receive the smaller sizes? The bag I'll be sending will be the 120 size I think.

@ JapanCustomTours That's a relief. Sometimes I'm not sure how much to trust google's translation when they seem different to expected. I am aware it's not same day - I'll be sending the bag the day before I leave to somewhere near the next airbnb to collect the next day when I arrive.
by moonangelica (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 16:20
This is what Ken meant.
Family Mart HP about receiving Yamato delivery.
http://www.family.co.jp/services/delivery/shop_receive.html
Only in Japanese, but In this HP, it clearly mentioned.
サービス内容
※商品の梱包サイズが3辺100p、重さが10s以上の場合はご利用できません。
Additional information: Even the size is small, sending address cannot be the convenience store. It should be your Airbnb places.

If you receive at Yamato service center, you can send it to the service center address.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/24 18:13
@ guest Thanks for extra information :)

Just to make sure I have everything right: I can send from convenience stores but my bag will be too big to receive there. So I should be sending the bag to Yamato service centers instead.

That was about what I was expecting initially which is why the translation threw me. I didn't think about it being a size issue.

I have checked and there's a service centre within 15 mins walk of each of my airbnbs so no problem at all. Looks like luggage transfer is sorted :)

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/25 02:44
You can send your luggage to that store

I suppose there is not that option for TA-Q-BIN senders.

A TA-Q-BIN recipient holding membership in Kuroneko Members
can receive a parcel to be sent to his/her address
at a cooperative convenience store instead;
that is a service exclusively for the members.

Sources in Japanese
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/ytc/customer/send/services/takkyubin/
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/ytc/customer/members/receive/change/
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: lodgment 2018/8/25 02:49
I'm going to be staying Airbnbs while in Japan

You have to judge by yourself whether a host is reliable.

Entries with a false license number
have been found on the AirBnb website;
in such cases, that lodgment business may be unlawfully run.

You had better confirm, at least,
that a host gives you a true postal code (in the 000-0000 form).
On Google Maps,
you can locate a place in Japan
with a true postal code for the district and the name of the prefecture.

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/25 07:14
@ omotenashi I see, so it's a member service. All good, the service centers are close enough for me :)

I have been careful with picking my airbnbs, all highly rated etc. There is also quite a bit of time before I go (I'm travelling in March/April) so hopefully most of those sorts of issues sort themselves out by then. But as a last resort I do have a contingency fund, if everything goes belly up I can go to a hotel :)

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/25 11:13
I made an error (sorry) in that you cannot send directly to the store, but the store does/can hold luggage.
That store (linked in the OP) has features that included 荷物を受け取れる which translated as "I can receive my luggage" or simply "receive luggage" and that is what I based my answer on. The first kanji has a few possible readings, so I didn't go hunting for what the size restrictions were, but my reading of that page is that the store can receive/hold luggage, but the instructions on the lower portion of the page are a bit more complex, first addressing to the receiving service centre, and then it could be held at the store for a "delivery schedule" or "failed delivery". Signing up as a kuroneko member is free, so why not use the service.

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/26 02:53
Signing up as a kuroneko member is free, so why not use the service.

Unfortunately it seems your address in Japan is necessary for the member registration.
That sounds reasonable because this club is for domestic delivery services.

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/26 06:34
@ JapanCustomTours thanks for the correction. I did consider signing up but ran into the issue of both address as omotenashi said and the form requires double byte characters and I have no idea how to do those haha. Maybe if the service centres were further away I'd work it out but they're close enough that is all good.

Re: Yamato Luggage Transfer 2018/8/26 11:57
the form requires double byte characters
That is normally on the language input options once you enable Japanese as an option. There are also character conversion sites that do things like convert 1/2 width kana to full width alphanumeric. Getting the right combinations with Japanese online forms sometimes is time consuming for even simple tasks - takes a bit of trial and error.

Local address - that is a bit harder, and making one up or using someone else's probably isn't a good thing to do.

reply to this thread