Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/8/31 08:01
Hello there, together with my wife and our 9 month old son, we are travelling Japan in September.
We will discover the country by a camper van.

By the recommendations we have heard so far, we strongly consider spending a night outside the camper in a Temple in Koyasan instead of a camping ground.
But as we read, the temples offer mostly soft walls.
Hence we are afraid a crying of our little boy will interfere the peace and quietness of the place.

Would you agree on this? Are there "house rules" at the Temples, that deny access to babies?
I also read about hiking paths, are they rather muddy or with cobblestone?
Can you recommend a camping ground in the area, where we could stay with our camper?

Replies will be of great help!
cheers, Peter
by Peter (guest)  

Re: Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/8/31 14:23
I think there is no camping place in Koyasan. it is temple area and not the place where ordinary people live. also, no hotels. (shukubo is not a hotel.)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/8/31 17:36
My initial hunch was that I'd agree with you, but upon closer search there seem to be some "shukubo" (temple you could stay in) that welcome families, including those with small children. I cannot find info in English, or one that is updated. (I've only spotted a few Japanese blogs talking about their stays.)

For camping grounds where you could stay over with your car, that would be all about 30 minutes drive south from Koyasan, for example this one, but it is available only from late April till Sept.

http://www.katsuragi-kanko.jp/K/cak.html

Another one I spotted on a map also mentioned they were open only during July and August.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/9/1 03:56
Also, you could easily stay in one of the towns/villages really near to Koyasan.
Do a search on any booking site and see the choices...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/9/1 05:03
If shukubo and camping are not available, there is a business hotel in Koyasan. I stayed there for 2 nights. The building looks old, but the rooms and interior were very clean and relatively modern. The single room I stayed at came with its own toilet room, but bathing is in shared (separate gender) communal bathroom. There are few places in town to eat and at least one convenient store, but they all close pretty early. I enjoyed the stay there.
http://www.ichinohashi.co.jp/tamagawa/
by zuby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Koyasan - Travelling with baby - Hints? 2018/9/1 19:52
Dear all, its great to see, how active this forum is. Thank you for your replies!!!

As Nara will be the destination before Koyasan, "katsuragi-kanko" seems like a good option to spend the night before going to Koyasan. In other posts I read, that the day-walks through Koyasan are already worth it and a over night stay doesn't come with much additional experience.
Still, it would have been nice to spend the night in a temple.

Shukubo appears to be booked between 17th and 20th of September.

The TAMAGAWA RYOKAN is a good hint, thank you.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread