Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Help 2018/9/1 12:03
Hello!

Me and my partner will be travelling to Japan end of October.

At the moment we have planned Kyoto for 4 days at the start and Tokyo for 5 days at the end. We have 5 days in the middle to get from Kyoto to Tokyo.

We would like to do something a little more nature, less city. We will have JR pass. However, happy to train from Kyoto to point A and hire a car, then return it to point B and train to Tokyo if thats easier/better.
Or fly.
Or a tour.
Any and all the options! :)

What can you recommend please??

I've done a lot of research on this site and many others and I think I am a little overwhelmed and just stuck.....
by claireej (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Help 2018/9/1 16:54
Hakone, maybe. There's the lake, mountains, the sulfur area with onsen eggs, a section of the Tokaido road that you can walk, and I think there's a secluded forest shrine nearby.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help 2018/9/1 18:05
Hello,

For the nature option, I'm travelling from Kyoto to Kanazawa and then through the Alps for Nagano. This will take me 6 days, visiting Kanazawa (Gardens), Shirakawago and Ainokura (Hida folk towns), 1 day of onsen and ofcourse Matsumoto castle. Maybe this is too much for 5 days but perhaps you can cherry pick from this.

On the JR pass, this seems a waste of money for just 1 trip from Kyoto to Tokyo. You need to take some long train rides on your pass to get your money's worth. Consider a local pass or single tickets. This website has a calculator on this topic and also info on discount passes for travel to different locations.

Christian
by ChristianKlein rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help 2018/9/2 10:12
I recommend two nights in the Fuji Five Lakes area and three nights in Izu. Fuji Five Lakes has a lot of nature to enjoy and beautiful views of Japan's famous Mt Fuji. You can bike tour around the lakes and see old-style Japanese villages and farm houses: http://www.fujibiketour.com

Izu is great for nature too. There are a lot of hot springs and beautiful views on the coast. Lovely beaches to walk on and good hikes in forest and mountains. You can hike with http://www.izuhike.com
by Kate 82 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread