Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/3 11:50
Hello, i'm a U.S citizen looking into the possibilities of staying in Japan long term, but i can't find any clear answers. All information i find online is conflicting. I'm currently a U.S military member stationed in Japan for 3 years, after my military service i am interested in marrying a Japanese national and staying in Japan. I will be 22 at the time when i'm ready, i have no college degree, but 4 years work experience in IT with recognized certifications. I am currently learning Japanese language, and aim to achieve a JLPT N2 level. If i recieve a Spouse of Japanese National Visa, what are the work restrictions? Do i need a separate work visa? I want to work full time in the IT industry. How possible is this with no college degree? How do i earn long-term/perminate residency? Do i have a chance of success in the country given my current situation? How long would the entire process take? Getting married, visas, ect... Thank you in advance.
by Nathaniel Barthelemy (guest)  

Re: Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/3 19:05
With a spouse visa you can work as whatever really, itfs not like work-based residential status where your visa is tied to a particular field, your visa is family based. No education necessary. Itfs the easiest way to stay in Japan because if you can prove your marriage is real then you are VIRTUALLY (emphasis intended) guaranteed a visa. But it does require someone who is willing to marry you, not just for the visa.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/3 19:21
Very few companies hire people without a degree.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/4 08:29
Thank you for the response. The reason in a have a long-term Japanese girlfriend, and we are currently weighing the options of either going to the United States or staying in Japan. I have no selfish intentions, but to be with said girl.
by Nathaniel Barthelemy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/4 09:06
This is your choice and if you want to be with your gf or work in Japan than dont let stop to peruse your goals.

But it is true finding work without a degree is challenging but not impossible.

I would like to work in the IT also but my destiny ended differently and now working in a pharmaceutical company in Japan. I love my job and in the beginning it was difficult with a lot of failure and learning but now 13 years later I am still at the same company.

My advice is do your best, show what you can and don't let problems stop you. You have to proof and show what you can do.

So if you want to marry your gf you do so and get your visa and get a job which you like.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Question about American Immigration to Japan 2018/9/4 22:31
Why not be working on a degree? The military bases have college courses and some Japanese colleges also accept part time students. You could be working full time and taking courses at the same time.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread