Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Utility Pole 2018/9/4 19:06
Hi there,
I have a utility pole on my property and I would like to get rid of it. It sits only 1 meter from my house and I believe this is dangerous (lightning etc). Does anyone have any idea whether removing utility pole completely from my property is possible? Thank you.
by Tom (guest)  

Re: Utility Pole 2018/9/5 08:22
Is it still in use? Are you the only one connected to it?
Do you want to completely remove or relocated?
Did you bought property including the utility pole, or is the pole still the city property?

I also got a utility pole on my ground but this one I bought and is connected to the main utility pole located outside my property.

In this case I asked a construction company (Electric, etc)

If utilize by local city than you need to contact them.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Utility Pole 2018/9/5 11:38
and I believe this is dangerous
Your expertise to arrive at that conclusion? Obviously the utility, following the relevant law and regulations, didn't consider it dangerous. You might be surprised how close electrical wiring at he local distribution level can be to structures, trees, and other things and still be safe. Even sub-transmission the distances are pretty small. (I used to work in the electricity industry.)

Perhaps you just find it ugly? Either way, getting it moved isn't going to be simple or cheap (based on my knowledge of what is required.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Utility Pole 2018/9/5 12:00
Hi JapanCustomTours,
In some countries they are regulations (min 3 meters from the building).
http://www.hydroquebec.com/electricity-and-you/work-lines-security/dis...

I am sure you know better though.
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Utility Pole 2018/9/5 12:59
Quebec is not in Japan.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Utility Pole 2018/9/5 15:34
I have two on my property, and the electric utility pays me (yen 1500 each per year?) for the land rental. From a safety standpoint - a risk might be one falling due to an earthquake or typhoon, but I doubt a lightning strike would cause a problem since they are grounded. In fact, being grounded would make them safer than trees, a roof, etc.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread