Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where should I get my residency card? 2018/9/7 23:08
Basically, I messed up during my visa application process I didnft go to my local Japanese consulate to get it processed. I know I know! But luckily, seeing I was just genuinely confused and an eager student win the additional of Japan having one of the most polite and accommodating cultures in the world, was granted a temporary 90 day visa to get my situation figured out and I was sent on my merry way! Now, I donft know if it was because my situation was so unique seeing as most people arenft idiots like me, but they didnft give me a residency card. I was just so relieved to get past immigration I didnft even realize until I was settled into my dorm. What should I do?
by Hophie  

Re: Where should I get my residency card? 2018/9/8 09:38
If you have a 90 day temporary visitor visa you are essentially a tourist not a resident and thus donft get a residency card.
Do you plan to stay longer than 90 days? If yes, you need to take steps to get you get your visa changed to student (or whatever you need). I am not an expert on this. So no idea if this is possible within Japan or if you need to travel back to you home country, wait for the COE and get your visa.
If you are currently attending a school, ask them to assist or visit the immigration office in you town/Prefecture.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I get my residency card? 2018/9/8 11:07
seeing I was just genuinely confused and an eager student win the additional of Japan having one of the most polite and accommodating cultures in the world, was granted a temporary 90 day visa to get my situation figured out

Not really. You were granted Temporary Visitor status visa-free for 90 days because you qualified for it, just like millions of others do every year. You weren't granted any special treatment whatsoever; now if you want to change your status you do it like everyone else. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I get my residency card? 2018/9/8 17:03
Either get the documents you need to apply for a CoE and status of residence (visa) yourself, or get someone to help (as you are coming to study, your school might be able to help). If you don't, you must leave the country at the end of the temporary visitor permit.

You don't get a resident card until you are allowed to live in the country.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread