Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/9 14:33
Can anyone tell me just what the pass looks like -- plastic credit card or maybe made of paper?
Reason being I want to attach it to a lanyard to hang around my neck and not sure what its like.
by Esdel Beck (guest)  

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/9 16:14
Too big in my opinion to hang around you neck. Maybe 12cm x 15cm.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/9 16:19
It's made of paper, tri-folded to about the size of a passport (slightly bigger). I keep it in a pocket of my shoulder bag that is designed for a passport.
by A5 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/10 01:53
It's too big for a lanyard. It's bigger than it needs to be and I'm sure it's bigger than it used to be. There is a normal size ticket laminated into it, resist the temptation to take that ticket out to put on a lanyard as that would invalidate the pass. Carry it next to your passport and accept that it will get battered especially if it's of two or three week duration. My guess it that it's been made this size so it is less easy to misplace.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/10 02:48
I always use one of these when I am in Japan https://jprail.com/travel-informations/tips-for-japan-rail-pass/perfec...

Not sure they are still available in Daiso. In the past I have bought so many of these for friends and relatives from Daiso in my country.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/10 12:29
They have not changed the size of the pass in maybe the last decade, but they did change the design - slightly larger than a passport (I don't have any left-over ones on my desk, but maybe 10cm x 13cm). Some exchange offices now give out plastic holders and then some tourists wear them around their necks - I see them and it warns everyone idiot traveler IMO.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/10 14:52
@Japan Custom tours. You are probably right about the size not changing, I just have a (vague) memory of them being slightly smaller back in 2006/7 on my first visits. I know what you mean about looking silly with it around your neck. I try to look as little like a tourist as possible (not very possible :) ) so it's in my pocket, my camera is in a shoulder bag etc.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/11 11:12
@Stan - lol - thanks for the comment - made me laugh.
I see some of the large tour groups being herded through train stations like lost sheep with their name-tags and rail passes around their necks and it isn't a good look.
After three weeks constant use they do wear a little, and I suppose the protective sleeve works for some people, but to have them dangling around your neck when they are valuable and vulnerable, no, that's not a good idea IMO.

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/11 15:26
They are roughly the same size as your passport.
Keep them with your passport when you are travelling.
No need to overthink this
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/11 19:35
How many times in a day would one really use the JR pass to warrant hanging it around their neck? Bearing in mind you canft even use it on half the trains in Japan.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/12 03:55
the JR pass has changed i have one from 2006 , bi fold 9 x 12 cm ,
now it's 10 x 15 cm tri fold,
i think it changed 2013

the old size was a perfect fit along side a passport,
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/12 10:26
More info - from the wise heads across at TA. Apparently Q2, 2012 for the size change.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k7180175-Dimensions...

Re: Size of JR Rail pass 2018/9/12 15:25
But, basically, itfs still roughly the same size as a typical passport.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread