Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 01:17
Hi I am travelling to Namba, Kyoto and Kobe end of this month. Does anyone know if the flight and transportation will be affected? My trip is on 26 Sept to 3 Oct, arriving at Kansai Airport via AirAsia.

Also, could anyone advise on the impact of Typhoon Jebi on the popular tourist attractions in Kyoto (e.g. Kiyomizudera, Arashiyama bamboo area, Fushimi Inari Shrine etc.

Thank you.
by Boon (guest)  

Re: Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 08:28
Click the link on the main page in big red letters.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 08:57
Besides the link from the main page, check with your airline if you were flying into/out-of KIX airport. The Kansai Airport (KIX) was heavily impacted.
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html
by G10 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 09:14
Thanks for the reply. I saw the post on main page and also the news release from Kansai Airport. It says T1 will only be partially restored by 14 Sept. AirAsia has yet to allow my flight to reroute/change of plan/refund. However, judging from the damage, what are the chances for my flight to arrive as per scheduled? Or it is likely that it will be cancelled?

For the bridge, my current understanding is that it is highly unlikely to be restored by then. Instead, we can take shuttle bus to Rinku-Town and transfer Nankai Line to Namba (correct me if I am wrong).

For tourist attraction, I didnft hear any news about places that I intend to visit. So can I assume that there isnft much damage at those places?
by Boon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 09:41
However, judging from the damage, what are the chances for my flight to arrive as per scheduled?

My guess is 95% chances your flight will operate.

Or it is likely that it will be cancelled?

I think it is unlikely.

For the bridge, my current understanding is that it is highly unlikely to be restored by then.

I heard that it will take about one month for the bridge to be restored, but no detailed information has yet been released. So, I think there is a good chance that trains will not be running yet. And there is a good chance that the substitute bus situation will be the same as now. But I recommend to check the situation again before you go:
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/0045.html

For tourist attraction, I didnft hear any news about places that I intend to visit. So can I assume that there isnft much damage at those places?

Almost no attractions suffered major damage, and virtually everything is open as usual. Some places, such as Kibune, Kurama and Koyasan can only be reached via detours, but are otherwise open:
https://www.japan-guide.com/news/alerts.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Current Kansai Situation 2018/9/11 10:28
The bridge connecting KIX to the mainland is a "minor" problem compared to the power system loss at Terminal 1. The bridge is at least open 1 lane in each direction and buses are running.

The power situation is more serious in Terminal 1. My understanding is that Power Control Center of Terminal 1 got submerged since it is located at the basement of the building. Without power, you cannot do anything (like clean up). And I seriously doubt that you can buy and replace power system hardware at a local hardware store.
by G10 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread