Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/14 22:51
Hi All,

I'm currently planning a driving holiday in Kyushu and will be visiting the Aso region on the 7th of January. One thing I would like to do is visit the Aso Crater (volcanic gas dependent) when I visit the region.

I've visited and driven around Japan many times, but have an aversion to driving in Icy / Snowy roads. I'm aware that it might snow (small chance), but I wanted to know if the roads are normally clearly signed in the area if there is snow on the higher roads. If anyone knows of which Japanese website shows which roads are closed in the area due to weather, that would be highly appreciated.
by mfedley  

Re: Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/15 11:54
Hi,

http://asocam.extride.ad.jp/select_camera.php?selectAreaId=001&selectA...ˆ¢‘h’nˆæU‹»‹Ç

Just click camera icons (though they don't look like camera) and you will see the real-time photo of each places.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/15 15:34
Road Closure is rare in Kyushu except real deep snow. We always carry snow chains with us when we drive to Aso/Kuju area during winter season. Before you head to Aso crater, visit Michi no Eki (road station) next to JR Aso station. The tourist information desk staff will advise you for the road condition and the current crater status.
by KyushuLocal rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/15 16:27
Thanks for the information. I don't want to be that one foreigner who drives in snow and has no idea what to do and crashes as a result. Thus the asking for information.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/15 17:25
I am sorry that the link I posted doesn't work.

https://goo.gl/FRKDT

I hope this will work.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Mt Aso Winter Driving (Early/Mid Jan) 2018/9/15 22:18
Thanks for the info...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread