Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/15 01:12
Hi,
Me and my wife are traveling to Japan for first time next month.
My wife has severe allergies (carries an Epipen at all times).
Since one of these is a fish allergy (I know, not the best allergy to have in Japan) we are planning on carrying notes to hand to cooks and waiters when dining out.

I would really appreciate any help translating this text (since I don't trust Google Translate on this matter), any input on how this will be received by the Japanese is also appreciated

The text is:
I am dangerously allergic to all fish, seafood and coconut.
Fish or seafood dashi is not ok.
Seaweed dashi is ok (*Added this line because hotels always asked me that*)
Sauces and other ingredients (such as gelatin) which are made from fish are also not ok
Because of my allergies my husband cannot consume these either.
Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Thanks!
by michaelfar  

Re: Help translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/15 20:18
I can't help with your problems, but the hotel I will be staying at sent me this for my stay in November, it will come in handy.

All you need is to print it out.

http://hotelkinki.com/images/how_to_medicine2.pdf

http://hotelkinki.com/images/how_to_medicine2.pdf

by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/17 10:01
https://i.imgur.com/ehjxlic.jpg

Hi, I am a Japanese school teacher and my English class students worked out the request from you and stored in the jpg above. I hope the above link helps.
by Lama of God rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/17 11:31
The one by the teacher above is correct except for the "jelly" (what is meant is specifically "gelatin"), and that the sentence about having added it can be taken out.

But please be sure to have this checked once again by your hotel concierge for example, instead of relying completely on online forum members, as this is a matter of life and death.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/17 11:32
Ž„‚Í‘S‚Ä‚Ì‹›A‹›‰î—ÞAƒRƒRƒiƒbƒc‚ɑ΂µ‚Äd“x‚ȃAƒŒƒ‹ƒM[‚ª‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·B

‹›‚â‹›‰î—Þ‚ðŽg‚Á‚½ƒ_ƒV‚ÍŒû‚É‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚Ü‚¹‚ñB

ŠC‘”—Þ‚Ìo`‚È‚çŒû‚É‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚Ü‚·B

‹›‚ðŽg‚Á‚½ƒ\[ƒX‚â‚»‚Ì‘¼‚Ì•iXiƒ[ƒŠ[AŠ¦“V—Þ‚àj‚ÍH‚ׂç‚ê‚Ü‚¹‚ñB

Ž„‚̃AƒŒƒ‹ƒM[‚ÅŽ„‚Ì•v‚à‚»‚ê‚ç‚ðH‚ׂç‚ê‚Ü‚¹‚ñB

‚²–À˜f‚ð‚¨‚©‚¯‚µ‚Ü‚·B
‚²—‰ð‚Æ‚²‹¦—Í‚ð‚¢‚½‚¾‚¯‚Ü‚·‚ÆŠð‚µ‚¢‚Å‚·B
by How about this? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/17 16:35
ƒ[ƒŠ[ (or similar food) can be made using either gelatin (animal based) or agar ("Kanten" - seaweed based), so that's where I noted a need for differentiation.

Still I repeat that the OP should have this reviewed by someone reliable, instead of relying on anonymous online forum, though I am sure of forum participants' good intention.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/25 00:18
Thank you all, we appreciate your help
by michaelfar rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/25 12:02
If this is really a matter of life and death, please don't expect an overworked line cook or an underpaid part-time waiter to save your life. Katsuobushi (dried fish flakes) are one of the basic seasonings for something like 98% of Japanese dishes, and nobody is going to prepare a special, katsuobushi-free version of a dish for you. It probably wouldn't even occur to many people that this could trigger allergies. Even shojin-ryori vegetarian restaurants sometimes use it for seasoning!

Your safest course is to go to restaurants at international hotels where the staff will understand dietary allergies. Vegetarian restaurants might also be safe.

The translated card you carry might be handy in one case - you can show it to the doctors in the hospital emergency room.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/25 23:23
Actual Vegetarian/vegan restaurants have to be safe because seafood is not vegetarian. There actually are some amazing and authentic vegan restaurants in Japan now. The line for T's TanTan Ramen in Tokyo Station was 20-30 minute nearly every time we went for dinner, and everything served there is vegan.

One problem is tofu restaurants and often many temple stays are "vegetarian style" but use fish broth and are not actually vegetarian.

You can also look in Happy Cow for places that serve meat but are willing to work with vegans, because any restaurant willing to work with a vegan and understand their dietary restrictions is more likely to take seriously your wife's dietary restrictions. Tokyo and Kyoto have the best selection of restaurants.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/26 10:35
I think allergy is a disease, while vegans are their preference.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate severe allergy warning 2018/9/26 12:30
@Ken, you are right in that being a vegetarian or a vegan is a choice vs. having an allergy, but in general, somewhere that is concerned for and responsible with a dietary restriction is more likely to be concerned and care about an allergy.

If the allergy is life threatening, eating some place 100% vegan is an easy and safe option since by definition, vegan food can not contain seafood (the allergen in this case) if OPs wife was allergic to something like gluten or soy, then I would not make the same recommendation. However, I still think places that are willing to cater to a voluntary diet restriction are more likely to cater to an actual allergy.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread