Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/18 23:04
Hi there! I have been researching means of transportation in Japan as I play to stay in Japan for around 1 year. In this situation, can you suppress your total transportation cost to around 6000-8000 dollars? The JR pass is way too expensive. Can I just purchase the cheapest Toyota Pixis Kei truck, which costs around 6061 dollars and get around with this vehicle?
https://toyota.jp/pixistruck/grade/grade4/?padid=ag341_from_pixistruck...;
by columbusohio  

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 09:25
How are you staying one year - eligibility for JRP is temporary visitor and from the USA you are allowed 90 days at a time. Otherwise, you need a status of residency (visa) to live in Japan - what work are you doing to qualify for that?

And on some simple economics, a US$6,000 vehicle doesn't cost US$6,000 for a year. Factor in insurance, taxes, parking, tolls, fuel and it is quickly a lot more than $6k.

Otherwise, yes, people travel the country in tiny cars.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 09:46
You wouldn't be eligible for a JR Rail Pass anyhow.
by susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 09:55
if you are not a resident (if you are a traveler), you can't register a car. you can't drive it.
also, if you don't have an appropriate residential status (so called as visa), you can't stay for one year.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 10:36
What is your itenerary over that long of a period? Staying for a year (or even months), I would not expect it would be like a 3 week trip where you take an expensive shinkansen trip every few days. I would expect you to stay put for weeks at a time. Travel within prefectures is generally quite affordable, and especially city travel on bus or subway. And then you can travel efficiently to the next area via bus, train or air depending on which makes sense.

Even if you could buy that truck, consider what you'd pay for parking, fuel, insurance, tolls, registration, maintenance, etc. It's likely to double the cost of the vehicle.

If you will have room where you plan to stay, honestly a bicycle might be the best investment. Ride that around for shorter trips to save subway and bus fare.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 11:00
as many before mention, if you plan to stay one year how will you do that?
Visa, or 3 months go to Korea and go back for example?

Buying a kei truck or any other vehicle you need to have a resident place and registration at the city hall.
When buying a car you need to proof you are living at the mentioned address. Than the process goes to the police to see if you have parking space etc. If you do not have a parking space (rental or own) you cannot buy a car.

Insurance is around 60,000 yen per year. Tax is about 8000 yen (Kei only)
If you buy truck at local deal than shaken (maintenance) is included. If you buy at auction or exporters you need to arrange your shaken.

Using high way needs to have a ETC card (there are prepaid cards available or cash) which is not cheap at all.

If you are tourist you need to have a IDP including a valued driving license. If you are registered as a citizen you need to get a Japanese driving license.

You best option would be rent a car when needed or take the train. Even if you have money enough getting a car would be difficult without any address etc.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 16:04
600,000 yen for a kei truck seems high to me.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/19 17:16
what is a kei truck? I know what a kei car is.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/20 10:23
Kei truck has similar attributes to a kei car (engine and overall dimensions), but might have a deck or tray rather than the seating for four/five.
Given the OP wants to ship lots of stuff from the USA to Japan for his one year stay, maybe he's going to transport his stuff around the country using the truck.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can you travel with a 6000 usd Kei truck? 2018/9/20 10:46
My understanding of the kei truck - two seater, load of up to 500kg.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread