Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day Trip from Osaka in Spring 2018/9/22 08:36
I'm slowly firming up some things for my trip in March/April but was hoping for some advice. I'm staying in Osaka for 4 days and on one of those days I intend to spend on a day trip but I'm trying to work out the best way to go.

I'm heading to Himeji in the morning (early) for the castle and surrounding gardens then I have 2 options -

A) Head to Okayama about middayish for the castle and gardens there, then to Kobe around late afternoon for the ropeway, herb garden and tea

Or B) Head straight to Kobe, missing Okayama. Do the ropeway, herb garden, walk through Kitano and to Ikuta Shrine, then to tea.

I guess what I'm really asking is if the Okayama castle and gardens are really worth the detour. While looking through the guides I am finding myself more interested in Kobe in general but mostly in things that are only open in the afternoon so it will be one or the other. The other three days are already sorted so I can't just do both.
by moonangelica (guest)  

Re: Day Trip from Osaka in Spring 2018/9/22 12:01
Both great destinations so it just comes down to your personality and interest. If your gut is telling you Kobe, then go to Kobe.
by JB25 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka in Spring 2018/9/22 12:45
If you happen to be in time of Sakura blooming days, you can do side trips to Yoshinoyama, Himeji and/or Nara (of course not on the same day).
by Indra G rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka in Spring 2018/9/22 15:21
As people will know I love Okayama but . . . The castle is a modern recreation so will not offer much difference from Osaka Castle, your time is better spent at Himeji. If you feel like going to Kobe then do it. I stayed there for 4 days & it's nice. I particularly liked the docks & of course had to visit the Tetsujin 28 statue :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka in Spring 2018/9/22 18:23
@ JB25 I think I'm leaning a bit more towards Kobe? With coming from Himeji and I have plans to see Osaka castle maybe Okayama will feel and bit 'more of the same'

@ Indra G If everything times out right I should be right in the middle of the blossoms *fingers crossed* I'm going to go to Himeji in the morning of this day trip and the plan is to continue on from Osaka to Kyoto via a day in Yoshino and Nara.

@ Stan Norrell That's actually the reason I was looking into it further. The main draw to Okayama is the castle and gardens but while everything seems to say they're nice, no-one is saying they're something that can't be missed. Kobe on the other hand will be a bit different and there's a few different things I'm interested in checking out.
by moonangelica (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread