Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Enquiry on itinerary and HEP in Hokkaido 2018/9/23 13:06
Hi,

I will be travelling according to this itinerary in a week's time:
1) 29 Sep evening arrive at Chitose airport and take train to Sapporo
2) 30 Sep Explore Sapporo
3) 1 Oct rent a car to drive from Sapporo to Sounkyo Onsen using the Hokkaido expressway, doing some light hiking and sightseeing for the autumn leaves
4) 2 Oct drive from Sounkyo Onsen to Asahidake onsen, doing some light hiking and sightseeing for the autumn leaves
5) 3 Oct drive from Asahidake onsen to Jozankei onsen via Biei and Furano (stopping at blue pond, farm tomita, or would you recommend any other suitable sightseeing places/farms suitable for this period currently along the way?)
Explore Jozankei onsen (gorge/dam/waiwai farm/canoe) if there is time before Kaiseki dinner.
6) 4 Oct continue to explore Jozankei onsen (gorge/dam/waiwai farm/canoe) before driving to Mitsui Outlet park, return car and spend the night in Sapporo
7) 5 Oct Explore Otaru
8) 6 Oct departure from Chitose airport in the evening.

Question:
1) based on my itinerary, am I right to say that I only require the HEP for 1 day which is for my drive in 1st Oct? My car rental service provider (Times) is making me get 4 day pass based on my rental period which will cost much more even though I only require 1 day, but they are unable to provide me with 1 day pass, no explanations given.
2) Is my itinerary alright or are there any areas I should avoid due to the recent earthquake?
3) For my drive in 3rd Oct, are there any other must-visit areas for this time of the year that we can consider? We are avid fans of nature (flowers, mountains, autumn leaves, etc) and fruit picking farms.

Thank you!

regards, Javin
by Javin  

Re: Enquiry on itinerary and HEP in Hokkaido 2018/9/23 17:12
Regarding the HEP:
Not sure what the deal is between the Hokkaido Express Way and Car Rental Companies.
Here in Kyushu we (Kyushu Camper Rental) can issue a 2 day (minimum) pass.
by Alishan rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on itinerary and HEP in Hokkaido 2018/9/23 17:16
If this one is correct, then it starts from 2-day version.
https://www.driveplaza.com/trip/drawari/hokkaido_expass/en.html

But are you sure you only need it on day 1? Thought you might use toll roads on days 3 and 4 as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on itinerary and HEP in Hokkaido 2018/9/23 18:09
Actually I am not sure if the route from Sounkyo to Asahidake requires the use of Expressway, do let me know if it does, Thank you!

Regards,
Javin
by Javin rate this post as useful

Re: Enquiry on itinerary and HEP in Hokkaido 2018/9/24 15:16
Hi,
I understand tha the toll from Sapporo to Asahikawa is 3320 Yen for my drive on 1oct

What about this route below from Furano to Jozankei which I will be driving on 3oct? What is the cost of the toll? Thanks.
38 - 135 - 452 - 116 - Hokkaidō express way to Jozankei.

My car rental for 4 days means I need to pay 6200yen if I want to get the HEP. Ifm calculating to see if it will be more worth it to pay by the ETC for each single trip instead.
Thanks in advance.
by Javin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread