Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya to Kyoto 2018/9/24 07:46
I would like to travel from Nagoya to Kyoto. I know the Shinkansen is the fastest way as I only have one day. Am I best to purchase a ticket in Australia or buy in Nagoya? I am a university student. Are concession fairs available?
by Brigitte (guest)  

Re: Nagoya to Kyoto 2018/9/24 11:00
Hi!

I had to look up what a concession fare is, and I'm still not 100% sure what qualifies for one in Australia, but it seems at least in Australia foreign tourists are ineligible.

I'm pretty sure there are discounts available to Japanese Junior, Senior and University students, but those discounts on rail tickets are specifically for students going to school in Japan. If you are not attending a school in Japan and are just a tourist, I don't think you can get them.

There are discounted tickets and passes for children between 6-11, My daughter had to show her passport to prove she was between 6-11 to get her child Suica card.

The fastest way to get from Nagoya to Kyoto is of course the Nozomi shinkansen and will cost you 5070 yen and take 35 minutes. For 2590 yen you can take local trains (with a transfer) and have it take 131 minutes. For 40 yen cheaper 2550 yen, you can take the bus between Nagoya and Kyoto but that will be nearly 3 hours! If you are doing a round trip, I believe there is a small discount if both tickets are bought at the same time.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya to Kyoto 2018/9/24 11:33
No discount for foreign students.

Sorry but with only one day. Shinkansen really is only smart option. Or rapid/local trains if you start super early and return super late.

You can buy the ticket when in Japan.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya to Kyoto 2018/9/24 12:17
There is a slightly cheaper (and slower) way to ride a Shinkansen Kodama (the slowest Shinkansen). It takes 52 minutes and costs 4300 yen. It has many restrictions (must buy in advance, no changes, no cancellation, no refund, etc.) so I'm not sure if it is worth the saving. It's called Platt Kodama, and you buy the ticket through a travel agency.
http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/
by O92 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya to Kyoto 2018/9/25 09:42
Just get the shinkansen - you will waste too much time trying to save a few dollars taking slower transport/bus/local trains.

And no, there are not concession "fares" for visitors.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread