Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shimanami Kaido questions 2018/9/27 15:17
hello,

i plan to do the Shimanami Kaido with my best friend in august 2019.

we will come from Oboke (Iya Valley) to Imabari in the morning of friday the 30th of august 2019.

1. where to rent a bike at Imabari? is it needed to rent a bike in advance?
2. how long does it take from Imabari to Omishima? normal speed with stops in between.
3. where is a good place to stay at Omishima?
4. do we need to pay toll fees for using the Shimanami Kaido?
5. how long does it take from Omishima to Onomichi/Shin Onomichi?

thanks
snk-freak
by snk-freak (guest)  

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2018/9/27 22:49
i plan to do the Shimanami Kaido with my best friend in august 2019.
You know the temperature in August? Just saying, for me it is too hot to even walk outside many days.

1. where to rent a bike at Imabari? is it needed to rent a bike in advance?
2. how long does it take from Imabari to Omishima? normal speed with stops in between.
3. where is a good place to stay at Omishima?
4. do we need to pay toll fees for using the Shimanami Kaido?
5. how long does it take from Omishima to Onomichi/Shin Onomichi?

I have gathered a lot of information on this web page: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/search/label/Shikoku+Planning

For me it took two days. Normal speed is very personal. and the number of stops and sightseeing you want to do in between I cannot say.

Here the summary of my ride, where you can also see where I stayed: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.com/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-ridin...

Toll fees are waived.

Enjoy your ride of the Shimanami Kaido.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2018/9/28 15:18
thanks for sharing your useful links. :)

so do you think, when we start at around 1pm it is possible to get to omishima?
then stay for the night and leave early morning to onomichi?

how many hours do we normally need for both tours?
by snk-freak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2018/10/11 19:02
any help?
by snk-freak (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shimanami Kaido questions 2018/10/11 21:10
Do you normally cycle? If yes, your strava data gives you your average speed. Reduce it a bit for taking pictures and then you can calculate how long you need.

I am not a fast cyclist but was comfortably able to complete the ride in two days including leisurely sightseeing. And I didnft start early and finished relatively early on my last day. I think if you look at the maps on my blogpost you can see the riding time, ascent, km etc. but the riding time is time actually on the bicycle. Sightseeing is extra.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread