Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary check and travel logistics 2018/10/10 22:47
Hi

Looking for advice primarily regarding travelling over the new year period, things likely to be closed, the best way to get from point to point and whether a JR pass is worth it. Of course if there are any particular suggestions regarding things to do (or eat!) Ifd be happy to hear.

Dec 27th: arrive Haneda early AM (~0600). Train to hotel in Shinjuku, drop bags. Not sure how much time I would have so have only planned lunch, at Tsuta. Possibly spend the evening in Shinjuku.
Dec 27th-30th: Tokyo. In no particular order I plan to see Shinjuku, Harajuku/Shibuya and the fish market (at the new location). I really just plan to spend these days exploring. Travel to Hakone on the 30th.
Dec 30th-31st: overnight in Hakone at a ryokan with dinner and breakfast included
Dec 31st-Jan 4th: Kyoto - ideally with day trip to Kobe. Ifd like to spend time in the sake district, and see the Yamazaki distillery too but understand they may be closed. Aside from that the major destination I have ear marked is the Fushimi Inari shrine. Maybe on NYE?
Jan 4th-6th: Travel to Hiroshima. See the peace memorial and the museum. Day trip to Miyajima
Jan 6th-8th: Fly to Sapporo. See the beer museum and the chocolate museum.
Jan 8th-12th: Bus to Niseko. Ski for three days.
Jan 12th-13th: Fly to Tokyo. Airport hotel with departing flight 10pm 13th. What to do during the day? I am considering a day trip out of Tokyo. Or would it be worth spending an extra day in Tokyo?

Thanks for reading!
by CJ Bean (guest)  

Re: Itinerary check and travel logistics 2018/10/11 14:00
Gooday. That looks like a great trip. I dont think the JR pass would be worth it or maybe it would be borderline, I've had 12 trips now and only got once once, it would possibly depend on whether you want to go green car or not.

My only suggestions would be to throw a castle into the mix (Hikone is a short trip from Kyoto, so that would be my pick) and instead of Tokyo on the last day, stay at Enoshima and visit Kamakura. The NEX departs from a station close by(ish), so we usually spend our last night at Iwamotoro Honkan, Enoshima.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary check and travel logistics 2018/10/11 15:52
Great, thanks so much for your advice! I will definitely consider your tip re the final day of the trip - would love to see as many different places as possible!
by CJBean (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread