Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/16 22:49
Hi there

4 of us are arriving Osaka on 13 November at 3pm and flying out Japan from Tokyo Heneka Airport at 6:00am on 21 November. We have 8 nights in Japan and intend to stay in Osaka for 2 nights, Kyoto 3 nights and follow by Tokyo 3 nights.

In Osaka, we like to visit Dontonbori, Nara and the Himeji Temple. In Kyoto, we would like to see the bamboo grove, Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine, Kenroku-en garden and the Path of Philosophy. In Tokyo, we like to see the fish market, Shibuya 109, Shinjuki garden and Mount Fuji/Hakone.

(1) Can you please suggest reasonably priced accommodation for 4 of us in each city? We like to stay in 1 room possibly.
(2) Is is worth buying the JR Pass for the places we want to visit?
(3) Can you please suggest the order of places so that we don't waste the time?
(4) We fly out at 6:00am from Heneda airport on 21 November. What is the best transport fare to get to airport from centre of Tokyo?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Kind regards,

Elaine
by elaine88  

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 10:33
(2) JR pass not woth it. Needs to be a return osaka to Tokyo trip to break even.

Some regional passes may work. But judging by you itinerary, I dont think so.

For Mt Fuji - getting a highway bus return ticket from Shinjuku would be good. Get ticket that includes the local retro buses.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 15:48
When did you plan this trip, you are kind of late making hotel reservations, many cheap hotels are not available, remaining ones are very expensive, I'm also going to Osaka in November 13th, my hotel booking was done back in March.

I suggest you look into www booking.com and www.hotels.com
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 16:19
Thanks all for your input. We only decided to go to Japan last week. We now need to look for accommodation.

Do you recommend that we stay in Kyoto 2 nights then 1 night in Mt Fuji area?

Many thanks again,
Elaine
by Elaine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 17:04
how much are you expecting on hotels, as most cheaper hotels now are shared bathroom, unless you go for those expensive one.

here is one place in Asakusa, reasonable price, same price all year round, and only increased price once during my 4 times visit within 10 years, you have to message them for reservation.

http://www.toukaisou.com/index.html

I haven't visited MT. Fuji before, but I will recommend Osaka 3 night with a side trip to Nara and spend a day there, no need to say overnight.

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 17:07
November 13th to 21th is busy season, if not the busiest. So I thought it might be too late to find reasonably priced accommodation, especially in Kynoto.

I searched Hotels.com and was surprised to see there are many affordable rooms (less than 40000 yen per night for 4 persons). Most of them should be new since I have never heard of them. Though I can't recommend one among them, but you can see the photos of the rooms in the booking sites such as Htels.com or Booking.com. Many of them do not have user reviews since they are new, but perhaps that is the reason why they still have vacant rooms. Check them and book as soon as possible. There should be one which will fit your requirements.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 17:26
We fly out at 6:00am from Heneda airport

Is this actual departure time? Or you want to be at the airport earlier than 6:00?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/17 18:13
I agree that you are booking quite late, I'm also going to Japan on mid-November and I started to organize everything in May. But nothing is impossible.

I don't know your budget, but I recommed this chain hotels in Japan that are my favourites, the Mitsui Garden Hotels. I'm sure you'll find accomodation. Osaka has two of these, with Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Yodoyabashi the cheapest but Osaka Premier is not that expensive either. Kyoto has three but during November they are quite expensive. And Tokyo has several with Mitsui Garden Hotel Ueno the cheapest.

For JR pass, maybe regional will do, for example the Kansai Area pass which you need to check which days you want and see if the price is worth it. Like others said the Normal JR pass is not worth it because you would need to make a round trip to break even.

As for sightseeing, you are going to see famous spots, they are great. But you got more to see and do, check this website for the cities you're going to visit to find some more ideas.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!!
by catiasmteixeira rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 03:58
I think you are trying to squeeze too much in. With only 7 days, I would skip Mt. Fuji and Osaka.

by JB25 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 09:57
Good morning all!

Much appreciated for everyonefs advices! We would consider to cut out Mt Fujifs visit so we are not too rush and tired.

Our plane leaves at 6:00am from Heneda. Are there any transport to get us there around 4:30am apart from taxi?

Also, we would like to do Onzen (hot spring). Any good suggestions?

Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Elaine

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 10:30
This website has all the early morning buses bound for Haneda.

http://hnd-bus.com/airport/nightmorningbus/

If none of those are early enough for you, it might be best to spend the night before at a hotel near Haneda and use their shuttle service.

For an onsen, since you are really short on time I would either look into Arima since you could do it as a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto or look into Kurama, since it is also another easy trip from Kyoto. 7 days is just really really short since you want to do Kansai and Tokyo. If you don't care about authenticity and have a taste for the kitchy, you could do Spa World in Osaka.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 10:37
I also found these bus routes as well.

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/guide/accessbus.html

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 10:53
I can suggest to stay at this spa on your last day, natural spring water, with shuttle service to the airport, 3500 yen for early flight plan to the airport, if you decide, you must book the shuttle in advance, service 3:00 arrives at the airport at 3:20.
https://www.heiwajima-onsen.jp/en/
https://www.heiwajima-onsen.jp/en/bus/

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/10/18 11:03
additional information

You have to select departure plan 0300, and arrives at the international airport at 0320, booking accepted from 30 days in advance at 3500yen including entry, towel and shuttle service.

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/11/5 14:40
Dear All,
Thank you again for your advice for our coming trip. We managed secure all accommodations. We came up the below itinerary. Can you please kindly advise if that is durable? Any better way to make it more time efficient?
Osaka
Tuesday, 13 November 2018
• Arrive Osaka 3:00pm
• Dontonbori Street and Shinsaibashi shopping area
• Dontonbori Ferris Wheel
• Dinner – Shinsaibashi-suji Arcade

Wednesday, 14 November 2018
• Osaka castle (open 9am – 5pm)
• Kuroman Ichiba (Kuromon Market)

Kyoto
Thursday, 15 November 2018
• Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine
• Nishiki food market

Friday, 16 November 2018 – Kyoto (day trip to Arashiyama)
• Tenryuji Temple
• Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
• Okouchi Sanso Villa/Garden
• Kinkaku-ji Temple

Saturday, 17 November 2018
• Path of philosophy (start at Ginkakuji towards Gion)
• Gion (historical town, famous for Geishas)

Tokyo
Sunday, 18 November 2018 – Tokyo (Harajuku/Shibuya, Shinjuku)
• Meiji Shrine
• Harajuku
o Zaku Zaku (pastry shop) - https://zakuzaku.co.jp/en/
• Shinjuku Gyoen
• Shibuya
o Exit via Hachiko exit
• Shibuya crossing
• Shopping/eating in Shibuya
o Shibuya 109
o Shelf 67 (big bookshop)
o Sushi no Midori (http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp/eng/)

Monday, 19 November 2018
• Mori digital art museum (open 10am – 5pm)
• Onsen

Tuesday, 20 November 2018 – Tokyo (Tsukiji and Ginza)
• Tsukiji Fish Market
• Ginza
• Hamarikyu Gardens

Wednesday, 21 November 2018 – Depart Tokyo
Thanks heaps.
Elaine

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/11/5 16:20
To me this looks good. You could probably even put in something else on you Osaka castle day.

Regarding onsen in Tokyo did you decide to which to go?

There is Oedo onsen in odaiba which however is more like a theme park than an onsen. If you have time (and it would seem so) I would suggest either of these two:
- yumorinosato in Chofu http://www.yumorinosato.com/ there is also a nice temple really close by. Itfs probably the most traditional onsen experience really close to Tokyo.
- or if weather is clear and you want to get a glimpse of mt Fuji while soaking Kozashibuya has a great super sento: https://www.ousama2603.com/shop/kouzashibuya/

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 7 days in Japan - accomodation/transport 2018/11/6 06:30
Yeah agree with previous response. It is a slow itinerary, but that is better than being a fast paced itinerary. Easier to add more than it is to decide what to omit.

Your Osaka castle day is really slow, but there is heaps to do and see in Osaka. And you might just wanna visit Dotonbori again for example. As you arrival day, you'll probably be rushing a little arriving at 3pm and traveling into Osaka and visiting the wheel and Dotonbori.

You Shinjuku/Harajuku/Shibuya day is full up. Don't go changing that day.

Enjoy your trip.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread