Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 09:37
Hello, my family and I (5 persons with luggages) will leave to Haneda International after exchanging our JR Pass on Monday, 17th December. We are heading to Tokyo Station for the Shinkansen to Kanazawa.

I would like to ask the experts here, how is the crowd condition (morning rush) at Hamamatsucho Station as we need to change from Monorail to another train to Tokyo Station. Is it possible to manage if we arrive Hamamatsucho at 8:30 am or what is the best time to avoid the rush. We hope to board the Shinkanasen as early as possible.

Thanks you all in advance,
Pete
by PeteWong  

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 12:59
Between 8:00 and 9:00 is the worst time of the day. You can try it. But if you want to reduce stress, I recommend to have a cafe at the airport and depart 20 minutes later.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 13:32
Even departing 20 minutes later, the rush-hour extends past 9:00am these days. To properly avoid it you would need to be after 9:30 or even 10:00. However, such a delay isn't really necessary. many people make the transfer and train with luggage. It might be squashy for the six minutes up to Tokyo, but getting on at Hamamatsucho is easier than somewhere like Shinjuku or Shibuya (lots of people get off at Shinagawa and slightly fewer get on IME).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 13:39
In my experience, these 20 minutes make a difference if you have a large suitcase.

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 13:42
Alternatively, you can pay 1500 yen to bypass central Tokyo by taking a bus to Omiya and board the Shinkansen there.

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/detail/hnd/omiya/dep
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 13:43

Since you have JR pass, you might want to consider taking advantage of Shinkansen trains for Tokyo from Shinagawa station. Arriving at Tokyo Shinkansen station would also be easier for you to catch the Kanazawa shinkansen.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 13:55

To avoid the crowd,

08:49 LTD. EXP NARITA EXPRESS 13 from SHINAGAWA could also be an option.

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 14:26

There are about 10 shinkansens from Shinagawa to Tokyo between 08:00 to 09;00, also no reservation is needed. Why bother taking local trains??

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 14:42
There are about 10 shinkansens from Shinagawa to Tokyo between 08:00 to 09;00, also no reservation is needed. Why bother taking local trains??

Because Keikyu between Haneda and Shinagawa is not covered by the Japan Rail Pass. Then again, the cup of coffee that I suggested isn't, either.

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 14:55
Thank you very much for all the inputs. That give me a good impression of the crowd situation during the morning rush at Hamamatsucho and also in the train toward Tokyo station.

I am kinda buying the idea of taking the Keikyu line to Shinagawa and Shinkansen to Tokyo Station for the exchange to Kanazawa.

I was also thinking of Taking the Limousine Bus from Haneda Int to Tokyo Station but the earliest bus depart Haneda at 8:00 am and arriving to Tokyo Station at 9:05 am. May not make the 9:20 am Shinkansen to Kanazawa as we are not familiar with the Tokyo station.

I really appreciate all the feedbacks and suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
Pete
by PeteWong rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 15:11
Only take the Yamanote line trains (green stripe) as, most passengers will have detrained at Shibuya.

The Ueno-Tokyo (orange and green stripes) and Keihin-Tohoku (light blue stripe) and Narita-Sobu (blue and cream stripes) have all come from south eastern areas, and will be busy until Tokyo Station.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 16:06
Oh, sorry I realised I made a mistake in the first sentence of my inquiry.
I am suppose to leave Haneda Int to Tokyo Station for Shinkansen to Kanazawa.

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 16:23
I am kinda buying the idea of taking the Keikyu line to Shinagawa and Shinkansen to Tokyo Station for the exchange to Kanazawa.

If you are able to catch the 07:38 Airport-Kyuko train, you'd be in Shinagawa by 08:01. You would have plenty of time to catch your shinkansen to Tokyo.

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 16:38
Ok, that's probably the best option we can go for. Paying Yen 410 per pax for the Keikyu train is probably the price for a cuppa at Haneda too.
Anyway, thank you guys for all the inputs and advice. Really appreciate your help.
Regards,

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/22 17:20
I once answered the similar question

https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+149750

and introduced a Youtube movie about the congestion of Yamanote line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV2JlerRNlg

This movie shows the congestion after 8:50 (from Hamamatsucho to Tokyo) seems to be not so harsh. I think monorail is better than Keikyu if you have suitcases since monorail has luggage rack while Keikyu doesn't.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/23 10:53
Only take the Yamanote line trains (green stripe) as, most passengers will have detrained at Shibuya.
Keihin-Tōhoku Line (blue train) also works from Hamamatsucho to Tokyo - other side of the platform. Not sure why people think the trains are less busy at Shibuya - still very crowded as hundreds get back on.

And, yes, 20 minutes does make a difference (I am happy to accept that), but even at 9 am the trains are very busy (and seem busier this year than last year).

Certainly the idea of transferring at Shinagawa and then up to Tokyo via a 4-minute shinkansen ride makes for an easier transfer at Tokyo, but Shinagawa is still a busy station with only a few less tracks and about the same volume of people.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Crowd condition at Hamamatsucho station 2018/10/23 12:50
I might recommend riding past Tokyo Station a couple stops to Ueno Station for your Shinkansen transfer. That is less crowded and a much easier station to navigate. Even more so with luggage.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread