Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 10:32
Hi!

I bought the Sanyo Sanin Northern Kyushu Pass for my trip to Japan next week.
Will be staying in Kyoto for 6 days and then heading towards Fukuoka. Hyperdia shows me several Nozomi trains that go straight from Kyoto Eki to Hakata. I know I can take the Nozomi with this pass, however I read about a Tokaido Shinkansen restriction between Kyoto and Shin Osaka. I am just wondering if I will be able to take this Shinkansen from Kyoto or if I have to take a JR train to Shin Osaka and then transfer to the Nozomi. I would obviously prefer option number 1 but want to make sure.
Thanks so much!

Janine
by Janine (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 10:55
Normal train to Shin-Osaka. No Shinkansen.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 11:03
This was the reply from JR West as my situation almost similar to yours as I wanted to use their Kansai Wide Area Pass -

"As you already know, the Kansai WIDE Area Pass is not valid for the Shinkansen between Shin-Osaka station and Kyoto station. If you would like to take the Shinkansen (non-reserved seat) from Okayama to Kyoto, please purchase the ticket (1,420 JPY: Basic fare ticket 560 JPY + the Ltd. Exp. ticket for the non-reserved seat 860 JPY) for the Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto before you board the train."
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 11:06
Thank you! This is a bit unfortunate but luckily normal JR trains are still covered so my trip will be just around 30 mins longer. Would have been very comfortable to not change trains! I wish they would allow passengers to get on the train in Kyoto because its literally the same Nozomi that then stops in Shin Osaka.
by Janine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 11:16
I wish that too but Shin-Osaka / Kyoto sector is run by JR Central and not JR West

Also will cost a lot more for reserved seat from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto (Y2,460 on Nozomi) since you can reserved seat with JR Sanyo Sanin Northern Kyushu Pass up to Shin-Osaka.
by CDY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Fukuoka? Sanyo Sanin Pass Question 2018/10/25 11:32
30 mins would be the max extra time.

Ltd exp take only 10 mins extra than shinkansen. And you only need 5 mins to transfer.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread