Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Practice test question 2018/10/30 10:14
Hi guys,

I am reading paragraph 3 question 26 of this practice test and I can't understand the kanji after 荷物 and 気が付く. I'm not really understanding the paragraph well, either. Some guys forgot his documents in a hotel and they found it after he checks out? I'm at work so I am posting this in a hurry before I get home. My apology! :P

https://www.jlpt.jp/samples/sample2012/pdf/N3R.pdf

Is 2 the answer?
by InaHurry (guest)  

Re: Need help with this question 2018/10/30 13:02
A man left the important document in a bin at hotel, and next morning he hastily called the hotel and was told that they always keep all the contents inside the bin for a night after the customer left. He thought that was a great system.

What are the kanji you don't understand? 整理(tidying up, arrangement)? Anyway, the answer is 3.
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need help with this question 2018/10/30 13:11
荷物を整理したとき、間違えて重要な書類を捨ててしまった。
When I organized/tidied up my luggage, by mistake I threw away important documents.

整理する to organize, tidy up
間違える to make a mistake
重要な書類 important documents
捨てる to throw away
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Need help with this question 2018/10/30 14:08
Thanks for your help, guys!

So that kanji is 整理!And no, the other one I didn't understand is actually the one before 朝気が付いて. Those two are the only kanji I couldn't read.

One more thing, where it says 一泊させるのだそうだ。I wasn't sure how to interpret this part. The dictionary says 一泊 means "stopping for one night". And you said:

"they always keep all the contents inside the bin for a night after the customer left."

So I guess the whole sentence is "After the guest has checked out, the room's garbage will (literally be forced to keep) be kept for one more night, I heard"?
by InAHurryNoMore (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Practice test question 2018/10/30 15:02
The kanji before 朝 is 翌, which means “following day”

By the way, of you install Chinese keyboard on your phone (the one where you need to write kanjis manually) you can easily write kanji that you see somewhere and want to lookup eg in imiwa? Just an idea. I used/use that a lot.

With the 一泊させる、I guess it literally means that they “force” the rubbish to stay for one more night.

All the best for JLPT!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Practice test question 2018/10/30 15:17
一泊させる is sort of an anthropomorphic way of saying, the garbage is personified. They always let customer's garbage stay one more night after the customer left. So yes, your interpretation is correct.
by neko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread