Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 00:50
Hey guys, kinda crappy title but here's my question. I will start University on 25th March 2019. I will receive my Visa around 15th February. So basically my question is following. Since my girlfriend is Japanese and lives in Japan, I want to go there the day, or the day after I receive my Visa. I read and heard that I have to register my Adress In Japan 14 Days after I enter Japan with my Student Visa. Because I already want to enter that early (1 month in advance), I figured that I can't enter with my Student Visa that early, so, I thought of entering Japan with a Tourist Visa and change it a few days before the University starts. I read and know that it work's BUT, it will take some time, so, I thought of going to Korea/Taipei for a day or two, return, and enter with the Student Visa. Anyone has experience with it, or can give me some tips? Is it okay to do that? Can I say, while entering Japan, that they should not use my student Visa?
Greetings.
by buddii (guest)  

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 14:02
Hi
Good to hear that you are coming as a student who has somebody to rely on in Japan.
May I ask you how confident are you in getting the Student Visa in around 15th of February? Usually CoE is about 3 months valid according to my knowledge,so it may be too early to predict your Visa day.

Secondly, if you come as a tourist (one time entry) with some luggage for your university life and declare that you are a tourist, the immigration might feel suspicious. I am not an expert in immigration and related hi-tech tracking, but surely they will pinpoint your passport as an applicant or a recipient of student visa too. If they find out that you hid your true intention, I don't know the consequence.

<In the case that you are a national who need to obtain Tourist visa>.
So if you have already applied for Tourist visa check with the JP embassy in your country whether they will superimpose a Student visa on top of that.

Coming to Japan and changing the visa status with your CoE is easy but make sure your CoE is in your hand and is valid at the date of application. It cost 4000 yen and the Residence card is handed over the counter to you. All you need to do after that is to go to the city office and register your stay within 14 days from getting the residence card. I did the above procedure to my son and worked smoothly. (I was the CoE applicant/proxy and it was delivered to my address. So the next day I went to Saitama Immigration,which is less crowded and got it done in a matter of 2 hours)

IMO, I recommend you to obtain Student Visa first. You will have plenty of time to explore Japan and be with your JP GF. The best she can do for you is to find the basic necessities which will ease your stay for the first few days in Japan.
by KS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 16:18
Hey! Thanks for your Long answer, learned something new!
Since it is an exchange Program with my local uni, they will handle everything.
They already told me, that the COE arrives in February and we will get our Visa Mid February (Im from Germany, usually no Problems).
the exchange is every year, and it was always like that, so i assume it wont change this year.
I wont need a Tourist Visa, just the 90 day temporary Visitor.
Thats why i will have my Student visa when I go there, Since I am not lying about Tourist Stuff (because me and my girl want to go travel before Uni starts), I think it should not be a Problem to tell them that I dont want to use the Student Visa yet, because it is early and i want to Travel first.

But maybe I think it is Way too easy...?
by buddii (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 16:25
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 17:32
You wont have any problems at all using your CoE to enter Japan already in February!
Doesnt matter when your school is starting one month later! Everybody knows you need some time to get prepared for school!
Dont make things so complicated, just come here when you recieve your CoE and enjoy your time, nobody will ask you when your school is starting!
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 17:36
But what about the "register your adress 14 days after..."
So, basically I can just register it after I immigrate, even if Uni starts a Month later?
It doesnt matter?

Thanks for the response, something like that feels good to hear.

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 18:05
It seems as if my second answer hasnt been posted right!
So here the short version:
1.Use your CoE to enter Japan in February
2. Register an adress within 14 days
If you will already start living in an apartment or dormitory etc within 14days of your arrival use register this adress.
In case you will stay somewhere else the first month you will need to register another adress first( eg guest house or girlfriends adress) and then when you move again, you need to change your adress on your residence card again ( this too, within 14days of moving places)

Dont make things unnecessary complicated ;)
Just come here and enjoy your time!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 18:12
Amazing. Good to hear that it works that way. That was my Plan at first, but I didnt know, If i can arrive that early in advance.
Thank you very very much!
I will enjoy it.
Greetings!

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 18:24
You are welcome!
Btw, in case your university already wrote an adress when they aplied for your CoE, you wont need to register it after your arrival, it will already be printed on your residence card! If not, then yes you will need to go to the closest city hall of where you are planning to live and register it within 14days.
And you will already need to fill in some paper inside the plane (Everybody will get it from the stewardess before landing.
At this paper you will need to write an adress too, so make sure you have a pen and a note with your new adress to make things easier!
And for "occupationh write: student, again doesnt matter if your university starts end of march!

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 18:28
No, they have no Adress so far. So it should be fine, I'll just register the Adress I will stay until Uni starts then.
The Immigration Sheet is the same as the Tourist one, right?
just instead of tourist, i write student?
Thanks for your Time.

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 18:36
Yes exactly!

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 19:10
At least 3 yrs ago when I came to Japan if you knew the address where youfd be living you could give it at the immigration counter (itfs a different one than the normal tourist lines) and they print your zairyu card directly there already with your address.
I think I also went to the local office to register afterwards. Within the 14 days.

Enjoy studying in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 19:59
thats great!
thank you as well!
I will! ☺️

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 21:10
You wont have any problems at all using your CoE to enter Japan already in February!

You can't enter Japan with only a CoE; you also need a visa (or a passport that allows visa-free entry, but in that case you get TV status and need to change your status afterwards).

Re: Dont use student visa in Immigration? 2018/11/2 21:27
Yes sure when you recieve you need to go to the embassy and get a visa sticker in your password, but I thought this was clear before and that there comes an explanation with the CoE letter.
At least thats how it was 5years ago!
by ...(the one who answered before) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread