Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 13:06
my studen visa expires on december and I went to the immigration and asked them whether I can change it to temporary visitor because Ifm planning to go to HongKong for 3 days then return to Japan for a week. They accepted my application and punched a hole in my residence card. Now Ifm holding a temporary visitor visa.

My question is: Can I leave and re-enter Japan with this visa? since the visa stamp only says change permit instead of landing permit and status of temporary visitor with 90days. Will the immigration put the gused stamph after I leave Japan or re-enter Japan? Or is this visa will become invalid once I leave Japan?
by Abcd (guest)  

Re: student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 16:10
No, temporary visitor status does not allow re-entry. If you qualify for visa-free entry, just show your passport and get a new landing permission. If you don't, then you can't re-enter without a proper visa.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 16:39
your health insurance also becomes invalid.
you have to go to city office and tell them that you lost the residential status.
may I ask you why you change the status, although you have a student status until December ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 18:33
So I entered Japan with my studend visa then changed it to temporary visitor visa while in Japan. So it means that when I leave Japan the immigration is going to stamp my visitor visa and I cannot return back as a tourist?

I called the embassy and they couldnft understand with my questions but they said that I can use the visa once I leave Japan and re-enter it again from Taiwan. But they also told me that Ifm a temporary visa holder now when I received the visa.
by Abcd (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 18:40
The reason why the embassy could not understand what you were saying is that what you have is not a visa. You have a change of status permission, which demonstrates that your status was changed from Student to Temporary Visitor. Again, this is not a visa, so if you need a visa to enter Japan, you must obtain a visa (a visa is something that has "Visa" written on it, like the student visa you presumably obtained before entering Japan the first time).

Another way to enter Japan is with a re-entry permit, but re-entry permits are not normally granted to people on TV status (with some exceptions such as cruise ship passengers).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: student visa to temporary visitor visa 2018/11/6 20:05
when you change your student status to a temporary status, you grade DOWN your situation.
if you keep the student status, until December, you can leave and re-enter Japan as often as you can.
because you have a temporary status now, once you leave Japan, you have NO re-entry permit.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread