Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 04:13
A friend recommended me to one day visit Izu for its smooth and quality onsen water. So my wife and I are now planning to visit Izu Peninsula in mid May next year. We are interested in Chuzenji Onsen, Mishima Skywalk, Ito and Dogashima town with the goals of relaxing in coastal town sightseeing, trail walking and onsen.

Questions:
1. Do you know where there is an onsen looking out to the sea?
2. Are the places above worth seeing over the other more famous attractions like Shimoda Beach and Atami?
3. Is one night two days enough to cover all of the above with public transport?
4. Should we make this a 2 nights itinerary instead?
5. This is the beginning of our trip and we will be visiting other secluded towns in Gero Onsen, Kiso Valley and the North coastal town of Itoigawa later on.

Other attractions like the Shimoda beach, Jogasaki Coast, Seven Waterfalls and Irozaki Cave are not our priorities as we live in New Zealand and even though those places look beautiful, they are similar to what we have here.

Any one can kindly share your opinions?
by hojo36  

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 12:33
Izu Animal Kingdom (http://animalcafes.com/v/25577.html ) and Izu Shaboten Koen (http://animalcafes.com/v/25576.html ) are both fun if you like animals. They're much more interactive than your usual zoo, and both have small herds of capybaras that you can feed and pet.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 14:15
Chuzenji Onsen is very nice and more traditional onsen town, but it's not on the coast. If you want ocean view outdoor onsen, look into places like Ito and Shimoda (Atami is not as nice, IMO, but also worth considering for its more convenient transportation).
by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 16:14
Thanks, Umami.

Is the zoo nearby the cactus park? And is the cactus park worth visiting?
by hojo36 rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 16:29
Izu Shaboten Koen is a combination animal park/petting zoo and cactus-focused botanical garden, so you get it all for one admission price.

Izu Animal Kingdom is more of an animal park/petting zoo setup, although the scenery is quite pretty and there's a section with amusement-park rides if I recall correctly.

(The two facilities aren't really that close to each other, so I'd suggest picking whichever one is closer to where you're staying or nearer to other sites you're visiting. Shaboten is probably better overall.)
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 16:49
Have stayed 2 days in onsen in Izu-Nagaoka. There was a ropeway to Mt Katsuragi, it was beautiful. Also visited lovely Shuzenji during this.
Izu-Nagaoka as town probably does not have much character like Yufuin etc, but must say there was one of best 100Y shops I ever visited:)
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1 night 2 days in Izu? 2018/11/8 18:54
Thank you Umami, Edokko and Girlwithpearl,

I will check out one of the zoos closest to where we will be staying. Most likely we will stop by at Mishima Skywalk, then stay overnight at Shuzenji and perhaps do a day trip to Ito.

I suppose Dagoshima is not as interesting? I do like coastal quiet towns.
by hojo36 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread