Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Japanese Alps 4 days 2018/11/10 08:02
Hi
I need some help with my Japanese Alps part of itinerary . Planning to be there from 24th to 28th April. Will be coming down from Kyoto.
need some help with my Japanese Alps part of itinerary. Planning to spend 4 nights in there. Will be coming down from Kyoto.

Kyoto to Kanazawa ( spend a night there) Is it possible to do the Shirakawago on the same day or should we leave it for other day.

Next day Toyama Alpine route, spend the night in Toyama.

Move to Matsumoto, see the castle and walk around and Kamikochi. Again can this be done in one day?

Last day in Nagano Prefecture ( Hakuba
and Omachi).

Next day train to Aomori.

Will I be able to see some Cherry blossoms in Nagano Prefecture?

Also renting a car is an option..But I donft know how expensive renting a car normally is? And the dropping charges.

Also we would love to try some Onsen . May be some lovely views over Alps, Any recommendations please?

Is spending a night in Kamikochi is an option or in Shirakawago.

We really like small villages/ Towns with mountain backdrop should be awesome.
Thank you.
by Himanshu Rai (guest)  

Re: Japanese Alps 4 days 2018/11/10 14:07
Hi! I really like the Alps, we have been a few times and stayed at various places although I havent been through the alpine route. My comments as follows:

Kyoto to Kanazawa ( spend a night there) Is it possible to do the Shirakawago on the same day or should we leave it for other day. - I think it would be possible - take the Haruka to Kanazawa early (3 hours) then bus to Shirakawago (1 1/2 hours, a little less) - but it would be a lot of travel in a day and the train ride isnt that nice, compared with the ride to Takayama. Shirakawa is pretty enough but personally I wouldnt go to a massive amount of trouble to see it as there isnt that much to see - it is more something to do between Takayama and Kanazawa IMHO unless you are going to stay overnight.

Next day Toyama Alpine route, spend the night in Toyama.

Move to Matsumoto, see the castle and walk around and Kamikochi. Again can this be done in one day? Yes, as long as it isnt a weekend when the castle can have long lines (we were there on Saturday 2 weeks ago and the line was 45 minutes long, we've been in a few times before so didnt persevere). Once in the castle it takes about an hour. I would stay overnight at Kamikochi, in the Onsen Hotel. But I'm not sure whether Kamikotchi would be open on the dates you are going, check on their website.

Last day in Nagano Prefecture ( Hakuba
and Omachi).

Next day train to Aomori.

Will I be able to see some Cherry blossoms in Nagano Prefecture? I'm not sure but they can be quite late - I saw them in mid May at Bessho Onsen (a nice place to try a ryokan and onsen) in the middle of May a few years back.

Also we would love to try some Onsen . May be some lovely views over Alps, Any recommendations please? Think about Takayama. We have stayed a few times at Hotel Associa and were just there within the last fortnight. It has awesome onsen with great views.

Is spending a night in Kamikochi is an option or in Shirakawago. Both yes, I havent stayed at Shirakawago but I've stayed at Kamikochi a few times (including about a week ago when we got some very light snow). It is really nice once the buses leave and you get monkeys around first thing in the morning

We really like small villages/ Towns with mountain backdrop should be awesome. We are the same - our last trip was tokyo overnight then Lake Kawaguchiko, the Matsumoto just to breake up the travel to Kamikochi, Kamikochi, bus to Takayama, then Hikone (great little castle town near Kyoto), then Nara. If you are after smallish touristy towns with views, I'd be thinking Takayama, maybe Tsumago, Hikone as well.

Have fun!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Alps 4 days 2018/11/10 17:21
I dont think it is realistic. Some days have 4 hours in the car. Maybe more depending on stops.

I'd google map you route to see driving times.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread