Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan Rail Pass worh it on this itinerary? 2018/11/11 16:12
Hi all

I know this question has probably been asked many times, and although we have used the 14 day pass for our family of 2 adults and 3 children before, this trip is a different route, hence the advice required. So here is our itinerary:

Arrive Narita Dec 21

Dec 21- 25: Tokyo, side trips to Kamakura, Chiba

Dec 25-29: Kyoto, side trips Nara and Osaka

Dec 29-Jan 3: Shinano-Omachi, side trips around Hakuba, Snow Monkeys

Jan 3-6: back to Tokyo, side trips to fish markets

A. I have done the maths with the pass at current exchange rates and if we bought the 14 day pass and started on Dec 24, having to pay the NXT on arrival, we are in the red about $200. Thatfs not taking into account local trains if can use jr on some.

B. I could buy the 7 day and it cover the Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Omachi leg. It works out on par. In saying this I would still have to pay for Omachi to Tokyo and NXT return.

C. I know many of you have travelled several times to Japan with families so interested in your opinions. $200 is enough that we could cover another activity ( maybe pay for some of snow monkeys) however with so many ppl in our family (having to buy individual tickets) do we hang the cost and try and see if local trips will eat up the rest?

This trip has been planned for 10 months and I am at the point of needing a bit of guidance.

Many thanks

Sim

by SimLenno (guest)  

Re: Japan Rail Pass worh it on this itinerary? 2018/11/12 10:08
Seven day pass not long enough and fourteen day pass wont pay off.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass worh it on this itinerary? 2018/11/12 11:03
Perhaps try to re-plan the route so as the 7D fits it nicely etc to/fro Tokyo/Kyoto in within the 7D ? Possible ?
by EP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan Rail Pass worth it on this itinerary? 2018/11/12 16:17
Thanks for your replies. I canft really change the route as we have activities planned and booked, yes it would work better though. We may just make up a few more day trips as it is an easy option for pre planning instead of taking up time in jr offices buying individual tickets.

The only other thing I thought about was to purchase jr east tickets and one that covers Kyoto as well? Not sure if that is viable?

Thanks again

by SimLenno (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread