Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health insurance: student / part time job 2018/11/11 22:34
Hello everyone

Ifm planning to come study Japanese in Tokyo for 1 year.
I did some research on health insurance and depending on the source I read that itfll cost me about 1f000 to 4f000 yen per month if Ifm a student and not working.

As I will be taking classes for 4 hours every morning I am thinking about getting a part time job in the afternoon or evening.
This is where my question comes in. How much will the cost of my healthcare increase if I start a part time job?

My second question is about my time in Japan before I get the insurance.
I read that Japanese hospitals don't accept foreign insurance. So once I arrive in Japan I will be without any insurance until I get the Japanese health insurance sorted out which I read takes a couple of weeks.
Do you have any advice as how to deal with that situation? What if in the first weeks of my stay in Japan I have to go to the hospital?

Thanks for any advice!
by Daniel (guest)  

Re: Health insurance: student / part time job 2018/11/12 10:54
First you need to consult your school about working part time since you will be school responsibility.
Also they can advise you best.

For foreign insurance it is true.
If you need to visit a clinic or hospital you need to pay 100%
Depending on your insurance you can ask money back to your insurance.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance: student / part time job 2018/11/12 16:31
If you stay in Japan over 3 months, you supposed to register as a resident, and also register JNHI (Japan National Health Insurance) from the day you arrive Japan.

Here is the procedure.
First, you receive residence card at the immigration.
Within 14 days, bring it to your local city office to register as a resident,
At the same time, you register JNHI. You supposed to pay the insurance tax also from the day you arrive Japan.
if you need to go to the doctor before you receive the card, you pay 100% at the hospital first. Keep the receipt. You can claim to the JNHI section of the city office, then you will receive 70% refund.
Of course, not all the treatment is covered by JNHI. You may want to ask the doctor if the treatment will be covered or not.

With student visa, you cannot work over 28 hours per week, so you still hold JNHI, not company health insurance plan. That is only for employees with working visa.

The insurance tax will be calculated based on the previous yearfs income in Japan. You will pay the minimum as you read for your first year in Japan. Please ask at the city office for more details.
Even we say gNationalh Health Insurance, the amount of the payment is not the same all over Japan. Not a lot, but slightly different depending on the local government.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Health insurance: student / part time job 2018/11/12 16:44
Thanks so much for your answer!
This is exactly what I was looking for and it helps me a lot with my planning for my stay in japan. Thanks!!
by Daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread