Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/12 01:24
Hi, I've looked through other websites and also searched through prior questions here and don't see a current/relevant answer to my question.

I arrive at Haneda from the US via ANA and fly out of Haneda 3 hours later, on Air Asia. I am not checking in any bags and meet carry on limitations for both carriers.

As an international-to-international transfer for 2 different airlines, can I transit immediately upon landing to my next international flight, or will I need to go through immigration and check in again? My Air Asia boarding pass says it requires some kind of document verification stamp, but I am not sure if I can obtain that at a transfer service desk (Air Asia does not have a dedicated transfer desk there) or at the gate? I've asked Air Asia this question and after a 2 month (!?!) wait they gave me no answer except to tell me to make sure I've pre-booked luggage to save time and money at the airport (?!?). I asked them again via Facebook and they never responded.

I'm trying to figure out the fastest route to my gate in case my arriving flight to Haneda is late.

Thank you!
Esther
by EstherP (guest)  

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/12 11:59
You go to the international transfer gate within the airport - most airports have that. Did you google something simple like "haneda international transfer gate" - the following seems to answer your question pretty easily.
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/int_int.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/12 12:13
Thanks JapanCustomTours, Google is like the FIRST thing that I tried. If you follow the link you will see that it does not clarify what I am asking.

I am flying two different carriers and my second carrier requires some kind of document verification stamp on my boarding pass. I already have my boarding pass (they give them to you up to 14 days in advance) - to complete the document.

I have never had a boarding pass that requires a stamp before and I have also never transited through Haneda before, so I am not sure if that transit desk at Haneda can provide me with what I need. Someone on TripAdvisor posted a similar question earlier this year and the responses ranged from the usual snark to yes to no... there was no definitive answer.

If anyone can kindly confirm if Air Asia's required stamp can be obtained at the transit desk at Haneda, that would be most helpful. I have gone through many pages of Google/Yahoo results with variations of search terms like "Haneda International Transfer" "Air Asia Document stamp" etc. I really appreciate the help, just want people to know that I've tried to answer my own question and I'm not a moron who doesn't know how to use a search function online. The answer may be as simple as "the Haneda transit desk's job is to give all transit passengers a stamp on their boarding pass" which would be both helpful and new information to me.

Thank you!
Esther

by EstherP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/12 14:22
Did you try it?
https://support.airasia.com/s/call-center?language=en_GB

If you can not proceed with "3. Transit Counter Check In",
you have to enter Japan, it means to go to "immigration" and regular check-in counter 3F, K.
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/int_int.html
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/arr_step.html
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/map/floormap/map.html?floorId=MA...

In HND web is not written that Transit Counter Check In has AirAsia counter,
so if you contact them, they will check it.
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/contact/
But basically airport operator is not airline company, so they don't know the rules decided by airlines usual.

I do not know if this can also be used via HND.
https://www.airasia.com/jp/en/check-in.page
by OCANA (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/12 14:31
Thanks Ocana.

Yes, I contacted AirAsia several months ago with the same question and they responded with a completely different answer to what seems like someone else's question - 2 months later! I immediately re-clarified the question, making it as simple as possible, and they have not responded by email or facebook yet. I have been trying to online chat with them on and off throughout the day for the past couple of weeks, but the queue is full and I haven't been able to get through.

I will try to contact Haneda directly, thanks for that link. Worse case is that I'll have to go out to immigration and check in again. My departing flight from North America has been getting delayed these past few weeks, sometimes by up to 90 minutes, probably because it's getting cold and is starting to snow now. With all luck I'll arrive in HND with plenty of time to transit, but I'm trying to understand the fastest and most efficient route to my gate.

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.
Esther

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/13 09:36
I am flying two different carriers and my second carrier requires some kind of document verification stamp on my boarding pass. I already have my boarding pass (they give them to you up to 14 days in advance) - to complete the document.

If they tell you a "stamp" is required, but not what it is, then that seems pretty weird. The information from the Haneda website indicates there is a transfer check-in desk. Also, many people use multiple airlines and international transfers without exiting through immigration.

Is there something like a website reference from your airline about requirements? In the international transfers I have done previously there hasn't been an additional requirement to have a boarding pass "stamped" (by whom?)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/13 10:06
Thanks JapanCustomTours for the insight, the situation is indeed unusual.

I'm in possession of two AirAsia boarding passes, one out of Haneda and another out of Kuala Lumpur. The one out of Haneda has a round symbol near the top for a chop/stamp imprinted with the words "Travel Document Verification." There are also instructions in red that state: "For verification of entry requirements proceed to the document check counter." I'm not trying to enter Japan (and wouldn't need a visa anyway) but the instructions also state the following procedures, in order:

1: drop off baggage at baggage drop counter (if any)
2: verify travel documents at document check counter
3: clear security or immigration
4: arrive at boarding gate

These directions seem to be for people arriving directly at Haneda, not transiting. I have transited through many airports around the world, including several others in Japan, and have never been directed to obtain a document verification stamp. As an aside, my AirAsia boarding pass out of KL has no such requirement and looks like a regular boarding pass that could have been issued from any number of airlines. AirAsia is not usually my carrier of choice, but it had an excellent connection for me.

I contacted ANA for help and they said that they would have a rep help me look into it when I check into my flight (FYI AirAsia has not returned my calls/emails/messages yet...been about 2 weeks since they sent their last unhelpful email, which itself took 2 months to receive). Since Haneda is a major hub for ANA, I'm hoping someone at check-in/corporate will be able to provide further guidance. If so, I will post the results in case it may be of help to another traveler in the future.

My current plan is to pack super light and rush through immigration, check in again, and go through security. If my plane is not late, I will have at least 2 hours (the flight has been moderately late about 40% of the time over the past 2 weeks) to accomplish all of this. Of course, would be much easier if I could just transit through the international terminal!

Thanks very much everyone for trying to assist!

Re: Haneda International to intl Transfer? 2018/11/19 14:50
So I've completed my transfer at Haneda and was told by AirAsia customer service and(later) by the check in counter that I had to exit immigration, check in landslide, and go through security and immigration again. Strange process given the nature of airport transfers in general... Even the immigration officer thought I had it wrong but the procedure is what multiple AirAsia staff instructed me to do. It's probably a pretty uncommon situation for travelers. AirAsia has a limited and strict policy for weight and size of carry on bags, so most international passengers would have had to retrieve baggage and check in again.

Anyway hope this experience and info will be helpful to someone else.

reply to this thread